2004 Volvo Penta power steering problems

2004 Volvo dp SM power steering issues
Yesterday, 11:40 PM
Steering is stiff at all speeds when minimal pressure is applied to wheel. With a hard jerk to wheel, power assist kicks in.

Have done or tested the following:
Replaced steering cable
Verified cable and actuator move freely
Replaced fluid
Pump is quiet and works perfect once the actuator engages the ram (both directions)

Other observations:
When engine is off actuator slides freely back and forth from stop to stop (about ? inch)
When engine is started actuator returns to center position and will only move about 1/8 inch
If manual pressure is applied to actuator in either direction the power assist will engage or
If you jerk the wheel the power assist will kick in.

These conditions exist at idle speed, neutral or while on plane. It appears that the actuator requires more force than necessary to engage. I have been to a Volvo dealer and they are not sure if it is the pump or actuator and could not give quote. Can you tell me with the information provided if I have a bad actuator or pump? Thank you for your help

Drive
DP-SM 1.95 (M22)

Transom
TSK SX-MHP

alldodge

Staff member
Not a VP guy but maybe my comment will bring up others.
The ram should work the same as Merc, the cable must be installed in the tube with next to no play. On the Merc there are slots (used to hold tube while tightening cable nut) which must face vertical once nut is tight.

To find out if there is a pump problem, all you need is a high pressure gauge. Connect the gauge to the pump and pressure should build in the 1000 psi area.

Here is Merc's which may help with some insight
http://www.boatfix.com/merc/servmanl/14/14a6.pdf

Thanks, My next step before buying a new actuator will be to pressure test the pump. My understanding is that a low pressure condition can cause the shuttle valve in the actuator to be stiff.
As noted, I did install a new cable and the slots are vertical. What exactly is meant by "the cable must be installed in the tube with next to no play." There is no adjustment on the cable that I am aware of...

alldodge

Staff member
You don't want the outer jacket to have play in it when the nut is clamped down

All Dodge
Follow-up on this posting. Bit the bullet and purchased a new power steering actuator. Same results, stiff steering at all speeds. Also purchased a pressure tester for the pump and found the following results:

Engine idle with deadhead valve opened -150 psi. (Normal I think)

Engine at 1500 rpm valve open. 300 psi

Engine idle valve closed. 1400 psi

Engine idle with actuator manually forced all the way to retracted position and held. Maximum pressure 150 psi. Doesn't this low pressure point to a bad actuator?

Also, do you know where I can find the VIP shop manual or info that provides testing procedures for this actuator?

Thanks

alldodge

Staff member
To me it sounds like your steering cable is not moving the valve inside the steering actuator.

Don't know where to get the VP manual

Sorry about the delay, but it has taken this long to resolve. Have replaced all of the following on 2004 Volvo Penta DP steering.

Cable
Helm
Actuator
Power Steering Pump relief valve

Also tested ps pump pressures and were in spec. Outdrive swings free, cable moves easily to allow actuator movement.

Steering was still inconsistent and sloppy at all speeds

Bit the bullet and spent $1100.00 on a Seastar hydraulic system that still keeps the factory power steering pump and actuator. Wow what a difference, boat steers like a new car, even with the motor turned off it steers easier than the rotary cable with power steering. When up and running it is one finger steering at all speeds. No slop in the wheel or wandering.

My question is why do manufactures of 100k + boats install crappy 1950's steering technology when hydraulic has been around since the 90,s. My understanding is the new electronic steering is even better. (might see it on new boats In 30 years or so)

Recommendation to all out there with steering issues, if a simple cable change does not fix it, go with hydraulic. Or, if you want your boat to steer like a cadilac, go for the upgrade now...

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
My question is why do manufactures of 100k + boats install crappy 1950's steering technology when hydraulic has been around since the 90,s. My understanding is the new electronic steering is even better. (might see it on new boats In 30 years or so)

Recommendation to all out there with steering issues, if a simple cable change does not fix it, go with hydraulic. Or, if you want your boat to steer like a cadilac, go for the upgrade now...

because its cheap, and relatively bullet proof. upgrading steering from cable to hydraulic increases the cost of the boat, the labor cost for installation. the end result would be about $5k increase to the cost of the boat.

the average boat owner wont pay the increase in cost.

Ya, I forget about labor costs. But I have installed both and there was not much difference to installing the hydraulic vs the cable. I purchased all my hydraulics for $1100, the cable and rotary helm is about $300. That adds up to about $800 plus additional labor. (probably an hour or two to bleed the hydraulics)

alldodge

Staff member
Agree what you have is a better then cable PS, but it just is what it is. Most that have go fast boats go for full hydraulic which is the next step above where your at. Cost in the 3 to 5K range

cnotecherry

Seaman
No disrespect but I would have to disagree there is nothing cheaper simpler or more reliable in cable power assist than full hydraulic maybe if your talking about twin cylinder exterior mounted stainless than yes it would be cheaper price out a cable rotary helm, steering cable, power assist hydraulic cylinder, power steering pump, and hoses I bet it's more than 1100$ and then install it bet I can install 3 full hydraulic before 1 cable assist

Thanks AllDodge, you folks have been great to respond to inquirys. Hopefully someone can benefit from this posting and not spend the $1000 I did trying to resolve a cable steering system.