R&R points with electronic ignition ?

-JR-

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I picked up some points for my AQ125a yesterday,and they also sell a pointless electric ignition kit.
So the kit only showed in the picture what goes under the under the cap.

My question is ,do I need to buy more stuff like a control module ?
Do I remove the condenser and the coil ?
Whats all involved ?

Also could I not go to an auto wrecker and remove the who set up from a Volvo car ?

72fj40

Petty Officer 2nd Class
We removed the points and installed the better Petronics unit in the distributor a couple of years ago. It installs under the cap and works great. It was cheap and easy to install. Don't use car parts in your marine ignition or charging system.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander
It's not really an electronic ignition, it's only replacing the points and condenser with an electronic switch instead of the mechanical type. It also will not make up for bad spark plug wires, timing not set right, or a carbureator that needs a good cleaning. It absolutely makes maintenance easier with only a quick check of dwell during the spring tuneup. I believe it makes my engine easier to start, especially when cold, but again, everything else still needs to be right.

Major brands are Pertronix and Hot Spark but there are others out there. For my AQ130D, I also went with the internally resisted coil and got rid of the inline resistor. Down side is that you can burn it out if you leave the ignition switch turned on for long periods of time without the engine running.

Last edited:

-JR-

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It's not really an electronic ignition, it's only replacing the points and condenser with an electronic switch instead of the mechanical type. It also will not make up for bad spark plug wires, timing not set right, or a carbureator that needs a good cleaning. It absolutely makes maintenance easier with only a quick check of dwell during the spring tuneup. I believe it makes my engine easier to start, especially when cold, but again, everything else still needs to be right.

Major brands are Pertronix and Hot Spark but there are others out there. For my AQ130D, I also went with the internally resisted coil and got rid of the inline resistor. Down side is that you can burn it out if you leave the ignition switch turned on for long periods of time without the engine running.

Thanks for the reply. This helps a lot .