Temperature alarm switch

Frank.O

Cadet
Hi,
New to this forum and boating in general
My question is regarding temperature alarm switch on 1999 Volvo Penta 4.3gl pwtr
The engine doesn't have oil/temp alarm and I would like to install it.
Where would the temp switch screw in, my thermostat housing doesn't have a thread on the side like some do and what switch part number is the right one (might be 3850397 but not sure).
Also there is a unattached blue wire close to the oil sender but there is no oil pressure swirch (3852215) but that is easy fix just adding a "t"
Any info on temp switch would be greatly appreciated

alldodge

Staff member
Howdy

Don'y know which GL you have but the Blue wire goes to the oil pressure gauge. All GL models from A thru E have switches installed which go to the alarm for oil pressure, exhaust over temp, motor over heat

The engine doesn't have oil/temp alarm and I would like to install it.

For a stock motor I don't see any advantage to installing an oil temp alarm switch. Installing a oil temp gauge would be nice maybe but that to isn't really needed. Now if you have a high HP 4.3 then sure. If you set on installing one, install the sender in the oil filter housing.

fetch

This is a gauge sender, but if you want an oil temp alarm switch, need to find one which goes off around 280 to 300 degrees.

The oil pressure switch in most cases is below the distributor at the rear.

Now if your talking about a water temp alarm switch then sure, but it needs to be installed in the thermostat housing. So if your housing does not have another port, my guess is your going to need to Tee it or get another housing.

Here is the GL-A but all are the same so far as senders and switches

VP wiring GL_A.jpg

Frank.O

Cadet
Thank you for your info
maybe I wasn't clear with my question but I'm trying to find out where should water temp switch go and what is the part number. This is the swich that is along with oil pressure switch conected to alarm (I'm also missing oil pressure switch but I figured that one ok)

Frank.O

Cadet
Does anyone know where should temperature sensor be mounted
My thermostat housing doesn't have a plug on the side
Only other place that I can see is on the intake manifold port side close to the carb