1998 5.0 gi fuel pressure regulator

mklearl

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello.
1998 5.0gipbycce. I was changing the diaphragm on the fuel pressure regulator. While taking the cover off I didn't use the long screws provided and the spring pushed up against the cover and bent the tab. I can now not get the pressure regulator cover to fit flush so it is leaking fuEl. Looking online I can't seem to find the cover or just the fuEl pressure regulator. I don't need the spring or diaphragm. .. just the cap. The local parts store told me I couldn't buy the individual parts for this. I would need to buy the whole tbi assembly at $1100. Is this truly the case? I also looked for an automotive 305 but the cap appears to be a bit different. Please help!

mklearl

Petty Officer 1st Class
It is. But the problem area is underneath which is the bowl. Inside that bowl is the diaphragm and spring. I've found similar 305 gm bowls that looks like they will fit. There is a tube coming out of mine that looks like an overflow? Or vent? And points down toward the tbi.I can't find any that have that.

ericga

Petty Officer 1st Class
The tube going into the tbi is found on the marine version of the regulator assembly and you need it.

mklearl

Petty Officer 1st Class
I know. Short of buying an entire throttle body where do I get it?

mklearl

Petty Officer 1st Class
Oh. And also there is a little gasket shaped like an 8. When you replace the old one make sure you don't accidentally leave it wedged inbetween the cover and tbi. Otherwise it will leak fuel.

I get the bozo of the day award... Not my first time!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
heat the tab carefully with a heat gun, then gently pry it back

mklearl

Petty Officer 1st Class
It was bent outside the screw. I screwed it in and squeezed it with some pliers... all good! Thanks.