Please help! Volvo penta 3.0 power trim reservoir has 2 different color fluids mixed?

alexhoang

Recruit
Hi everyone, i have 2007 chaparral with volvo penta 3.0GLP-E and drive unit SX-A 2.18 ,bought it few months ago,before bring the boat out yesterday i try to check all the fluids, i put some oem volvo penta power trim/steering fluid(3851039) (it's clear yellow color) in power trim reservoir and notice it already has red color fluid in there( i thought this's ATF) so the problem is my power trim system has 2 different color mixed together now, is it ok ?
I contacted the previous owner and he said he used mercury power trim/steering fluid for that ( does anybody know what's color mercury power trim/steering fluid ?) .
So what should i do now ? can i use syringe with long tube take it out at much i can and put OEM volvo penta in there or just leave it like that and add more volvo penta trim/steering fluid(3851039) as needed .
My concern when i look at the back oem volvo penta power trim/steering fluid ,it said : " do not mix this fluid with any types of oil and steering fluid " .
I just try to make it right , Thank everybody !

Last edited:

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Interesting, if you need to top it up then you probably have a leak somewhere. Generally power trim fluid is Dexron 2 or 3 spec, and yes pink same as the power steering. However I have no idea what the yellow stuff is, if it complies with Dexron 2 or 3 then it should mix.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,.... I've never seen an "Issue" from mixin' the oils,.... Just run it, 'n don't worry 'bout it,....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
power trim fluid on volvos over the years has been ATF, UTF, engine oil, hydraulic oil, etc.

it will mix and become a brownish color and be fine, or you can drain it out and put in the volvo specific stuff per your current manual