Replace rotor cap/ points when?

Edge180

Petty Officer 3rd Class
General question as to when and if I should replace my rotor cap and points? I don't have any issues, just wondering if this is something that wears and needs replacing as a standard maintenance item?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I check under the cap every year, I replace about every 5 years

I'm guessing since you're referencing points your not talking about your Volvo in your Monterey. with points, usually you pull the cap in spring, clean them from the winter nap, verify dwell and go boating. replacing about once the points are worn. usually well over 10 years

Edge180

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks, will do on the checking under the cap. I've never replaced the cap.
Yes, I was referring to my VP. Wasn't sure if I had points or not. Apparently not.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Agree with the above, I have gotten at least 5 seasons out of a set of points. Cap, I check it for green corrosion on the terminals due to my boat being in salt air all season.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
I doubt your distributor has points. It is probably an HEI ignition system. You will still need to replace the rotor and cap every few years.

Edge180

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks fellas. Will pull the cap and inspect tonight. Never replaced it so if I see the green stuff, I'll replace.

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I put on a Sierra cap and rotor four years ago - this year I observed that the rotor has worn away so much of the copper contact that the plastic housing was beginning to to show wear where the rotor was passing over it. Over four years I put on about 125 hours.

mikeneal

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I guess maybe the humidity of Florida is hard on them, I replaced longblock last year and during break in developed a miss and chased it and found my -18 month old cap was gross. Had about 160 hrs on it . So my answer would be "depends" but I look at it annually at least now.