5.7l Volvo Penta wiring hell

Dbk81191

Recruit
I'm not completely dumb when comes to circuits but I'm pretty confused on this one. Had a problem with boat starting and running fine but wouldn't turn off. Found where the battery lead terminal on starter had rubbed and grounded to the lower post with the single purple wire. I repaired that short connection and now boat won't start and stay running, coil has no constant power on - or + when key switch is on. Engine start position on key switch sends 12 volts to coil when turning over which causes but to start but then cut off once you let go of the key. Have replaced every 12v relay on boat and checked every connection. Just to check my dumminess I made a gator clip jumper and jumped back between hot lead and purple wire on starter and started and ran great. What am I missing? This is in a 1998 regal 2100 lsr

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer
Are you positive the key switch itself isn't the problem. When you let go of the spring key switch when it starts, are you still getting power from the purple wire on the key switch to your safety switch? Key switches are famous for having loose screw connections. Dave-R

alldodge

Staff member
Had a problem with boat starting and running fine but wouldn't turn off. Found where the battery lead terminal on starter had rubbed and grounded to the lower post with the single purple wire.

This could be your problem. The Purple wire goes hot (12V) when the key is turned to ON. No purple wire should go to ground. If it did go to ground for an instant, then check the 20 amp fuse which should be in the feed wire from the engine harness to the key switch

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,.... I agree, that circuit starts at the key switch, so check there 1st, then follow the Power to the coil,...