Sealed Gimbal bearing

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer
I have a 2011 Volvo Penta DPS-A drive than I'm replacing the gimbal bearing. This is the first time I have done this when there are no grease serks on the drive, so I guess it's going to have to be one of the sealed bearings. Any one brand in particular to use? I have used the ( Link Belt ) brand with great success, but I am not sure if they make a sealed gimbal. I will look in I-boats today. Any body have any ideas? Thanks Dave-R

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer
After an hour of abusive slide hammer beating I finally got it out. I even had one of the rear axle bearing pullers which fit the gimbal bearing well. I was surprised to find what looks like a 3 piece brass shim material that must be glued onto the gimbal housing I guess to make the bearing fit tighter. I have pulled quite a few gimbal bearings, but nothing this tight before. I know this came from the factory this way but not sure why. The shims also have a about a 1/4" ring on them that buts up to the seal, the thickness of the shims are only a few thousands. I think I should pull them out because I dont think I dare drive the new bearing that I have not ordered yet over them. What do you guys think? I took pictures, and I'll see if they will post. Dave-R

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

Here are a couple of pictures. You can see the skid marks from the gimbal bearing in the shims. I might wait till I get the new bearing and measure it before I tear the shims out.

Attachments

• photo264367.jpg
    photo264367.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 2
  • photo264368.jpg
    photo264368.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer
Thalasso : That is a great tool, and it would make it a heck of a lot easier to extract the bearing. What I really liked is the way the tool tightened itself in the bearing. The seal behind the gimbal bearing kept my axle bearing removal tool from seating on the bearing, and the Mallory tool would not be bothered by that. I now have to decide on trying to tear out that gimbal shim. I cannot for the life of me figure out why from the factory it's there. Where you there for the Tet offensive? My brother is a Vietnam vet also. Dave-R

Thalasso

Commander
Thalasso : That is a great tool, and it would make it a heck of a lot easier to extract the bearing. What I really liked is the way the tool tightened itself in the bearing. The seal behind the gimbal bearing kept my axle bearing removal tool from seating on the bearing, and the Mallory tool would not be bothered by that. I now have to decide on trying to tear out that gimbal shim. I cannot for the life of me figure out why from the factory it's there. Where you there for the Tet offensive? My brother is a Vietnam vet also. Dave-R

I can remove the bearing quicker then you can scratch your butt with that tool.:D

Happened just after i left I left the beginning of Jan