Burned on a used boat

fkzdiceman

Cadet
Just got burned on a used 2004 Stingray with a Volvo 3.0 and an SX-M outdrive which I'm hoping I can repair myself. From what I got from the mechanic it needs:

Head Gasket
Circulation Pump
Universal Joints
U-Joint and Exhaust Bellows

I'm not a mechanic, but I'm pretty good with a wrench. Realistically, is this something I should tackle myself? The boat is mine now, so I have to fix it or just let it sit in the yard until it is paid off.

Thanks,

-matt

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
welcome to the forum, and welcome to the burned club.

If you can, and like to, wrench yes not too bad - the concern would be did it overheat due to failed head gasket / circluation pump? That means new block potentially

if you let it sit in the yard without properly protecting it, you will end up with more issues - which you may already have. Any soft spots on the floor?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Welcome aboard

if you can turn a wrench, understand right-tighty and ask for help before you jump in the job is easy.

the hardest will be the U-joints as the upper gear box needs to come apart, however on a mechanics scale, its about a 5

Bellows are recommended by Volvo to be replaced every other year

on a 3.0, replacing the head gasket and circulating pump are easy. It will take about 6 hours total if you are handy with a wrench. about a 3 on a mechanics scale

U-joints, bellows, etc. will be about 8 hours from the time you start to pull the drive to the time you finish. the drive removal and bellows replacement is considered maintenance so dont consider that being burned. the U-joint replacement is because someone didnt do the normal PM.

I would also replace the gimble bearing and check alignment while you have the drive off. (buy the alignment tool off of ebay or amazon. they are under $40)

fkzdiceman

Cadet
Thanks for the info so far. I know there could be damage to the head or block or both, but won't know until I get the head off.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
do a compression test as well as a leak down test.

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Half of your list is standard maintenance items. As others said, if you are at all handy, this project is within reach. Don't give up!

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander
Do yourself a favor and check the deck and transom for soft spots and rot. Any work on the engine and outdrive may be worthless if the boat is rotted out around it.

And yes, welcome to the "burned" club. I bought a boat that "only needed a bellows". Ended up stripping it down to a bare hull and rebuilt transom, stringers, and deck along with new foam, fuel system (including tank), and extensive engine and outdrive work. Either cut your losses and get out or decide that it'll be a fun and challenging project. Believe it or not, it can be fun. (some times)

Coolharts

Recruit
I am new here and understand what you are thinking. I bought a running 1996 Sunbird with a 4.3LGS. I bought it and started working on it. I found a bent valve and blown head gasket. My heads are at the machine shop awaiting repair. While I am working on it I am doing everything I need to do to make it safe. I don't feel taken because the hull is in great shape and the boat is 20 years old.

fkzdiceman

Cadet
Thanks for all of the encouraging words! Cutting my loses isn't really an option unless I want to stiff the bank, so I have to get this thing running one way or another or it will be an expensive lawn ornament.

The deck and transom are solid. I'm planning on pulling the head this weekend to get an idea of how bad the damage is. If the cylinders look OK, I will have the head reworked and put it back on. What should I be looking for once I get the head off? I've found a new engine online for around $3K, which is my backup plan if this motor is shot.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Thanks for all of the encouraging words! Cutting my loses isn't really an option unless I want to stiff the bank, QUOTE]

I got news for you, Banks only get stiffed on Business Loans. When it comes to Personal Loans, only your filing for Bankruptcy might reduce what they get

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Until you know what is wrong, I would be looking for a new engine just yet. It could be something so minuscule that a few dollars and some time could fix it. Don't scare yourself into anything until it is verified. But if you can turn a few wrenches, the help on these forums will certainly guide you through any repairs. Don't discount your abilities until you try. And honestly, what better way to learn about you new to you boat then to do a little wrench turning. It really is part of owning a boat. JMHO

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Boating without the ability to turn your own wrenches is pricey.

Did you do a leak-down test?

fkzdiceman

Cadet
No on the leak-down test, but the compression test showed 80 PSI on #4 cylinder and 160-180 on the other 3. Should I do a leak-down test as well, or just go ahead and pull the head?

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Pull the head, then take it in. maybe rusty valves

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
I'll mention this cause no one did. Keep your push rods organized. Stick them through cardboard labeled with up and arrow forward. This will assure you get them back in rhe right place.

Pusher

Lieutenant
It's a dirty rotten dog that sells a boat "as-is" without telling you about the blown head gasket.

fkzdiceman

Cadet
Yeah Pusher, you are so right. If anyone is around New Smyrna stay far away from Specialty Marine Center.

I'm planning to pull the head this weekend, but from what I can see now that I know what to look for, it looks like that gasket was blown for a while...

Pusher

Lieutenant
I usually give negative google review to businesses that operate like that. I certainly did it with my used pickup purchase.

fkzdiceman

Cadet
No Title

I have left negative reviews everywhere I could. Hopefully I will save someone else a broken heart and wallet.

So I started to pull the head, but couldn't get very far. The bolts around the #4 cylinder are so rusted that I can't get them off. The milky oil under the valve cover tells the tale though. I'm really leaning toward getting that new motor for $2800. I just see a lot of headaches with this motor....

Attachments

• photo264371.jpg
    photo264371.jpg
    313 KB · Views: 0

89retta

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I would also go with the new motor. With water in the engine all the bearings are probably rusty. Before buying one I would check the outdrive real good.