'73 model number

trebot

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Looking to buy boat ('73 Glastron). Boat in Michigan, I'm in Florida. Trying to determine what motor / outdrive on boat. Owner knows little about the boat , but did give me "Volvo Penta b20aq130". That mean anything to anyone? Thanks

superfets

Petty Officer 2nd Class
130 Hp, 4 cylinder, Volvo engine. See attached link

Mod EDIT: Link didnt go to an engine info page

Cheers :thumb:

Last edited by a moderator:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you realize that that 44 year old boat will probably need a ton of work on the hull, motor and drive. the transportation alone from Michigan to Florida is probably worth more than the boat is.

Bondo

Staff member
"Volvo Penta b20aq130". That mean anything to anyone?

Ayuh,..... It's a Volvo 4 cylinder motor, ya can't buy parts for,.....

dennis461

Chief Petty Officer
DO NOT BUY THAT BOAT.
If it is truly a B20 motor, the circulating water pump is impossible to find.
A B20 is a overhead valve pushrod engine which is getting harder if not impossible to find parts.

The only way I would consider taking the boat is locally and for free with a test drive in the water.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander
DO NOT BUY THAT BOAT.
If it is truly a B20 motor, the circulating water pump is impossible to find.
A B20 is a overhead valve pushrod engine which is getting harder if not impossible to find parts.

The only way I would consider taking the boat is locally and for free with a test drive in the water.
You're thinking of the B30 inline 6 with the hard to find water pump. B20 is a 4 cylinder. Plenty of parts available if you know how to use a computer and the magical spell called google.

If you want to put the engine in a trophy room and compare against "modern technology", you aren't going to win any awards. If you want something that is easy and simple to work on and makes the boat move through the water, that engine does just fine.

However, it is a raw water cooled engine and may have suffered from corrosion if used in salt water. That's the reason I would be leery of it, and not because of the engine itself. There's also the issue of being a 44 year old boat. There's no way I would mess with it unless I was looking for a project.

I happen to have a boat built in 1976. Once it's in good shape, it's the same amount of maintenance as any other boat.

Last edited:

trebot

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The boat looks like a Glastron Carlson from the pic I've seen. Sounds like free to a good home. Try to look at it when go to Michigan in May.