Drain engine oil by pulling dipstick tube bolt?

Maxum21

Petty Officer 1st Class
If you have easy access inside your bilge where the dipstick tube bolts into the oil pan, would that be an acceptable way to drain the oil? Or, could i end up dislodging a nut or something inside the pan resulting in a leak? You wouldn't need to remove it completely but just loosen it to allow it to drain. I have a spacious engine compartment in my 24' Regal and would prefer to drain my oil, but not if it's going to cause a potential headache. What do you think?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
How about suck it out like designed

Maxum21

Petty Officer 1st Class
'07 5.7 GI-F Dip stick tube runs down to bottom of pan threaded into a brass cube which is thru-bolted to oil pan

shaw520

Chief Petty Officer
Removing the dipstick tube will not drain much oil as it's not at the bottom of the pan,... if you have such great access why not just pull the drain plug

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Get yerself an oil sucker,....

Even if ya got room in the bilge for a catch-can, I truly doubt you could lift it out, without dumpin' most all of the 5 quarts of dirty oil into the bilge,......

Also, the bolt yer lookin' at is a fairly fragile bango-bolt, that seals against the pan, 'n dipstick tube with copper crush washers,....

Maxum21

Petty Officer 1st Class
it is at the very bottom of the pan. There is no drain plug...Bondo, your correct about bango-bolt/crush washer.. It looks possible one can loosen and drain via this bolt without issue, but its not worth the risk. Oil extractor it is...
thanks

Scott Danforth

Staff member
crush washers are a one-time use unless you anneal them again.

shaw520

Chief Petty Officer
Dont believe Ive ever heard of SBC without a drain plug,... and all the 5.7's Ive seen the dipstick tube slide into a machined hole in the block, we are talking GM 5.7 correct ?...(then again I never owned anything new than a 1990,... LOL!)

Scott Danforth

Staff member
many newer boat motors have the dipstick tube in the oil pan and a plug in the block hole

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... In the application We're talkin' 'bout, the bango-bolt replaces the drain plug, so the dipstick tube sucks off the very bottom of the sump,....

I imagine the block's dipstick hole is plugged,...