volvo 280 outdrive bellows info

old islander

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi All,
I'm having a hard time looking up the part numbers for the exhaust bellows for my 1975 280 outdrive. Serial # on the drive is 9809102B. When looking that up on Iboats it does not recognize the number.
This boat is new to me this week and I have ordered the manual for the outdrive. It looks like the boat has sat for awhile. What would be best to check and service on the drive before putting it in the water for the first time. I have no idea when it was serviced last. Looking at the bellows it looks old, so I'm changing it to be on the safe side and establish a starting point for future servicing.
The boat is a 1975 Glastron Carlson CV16 V8.

Thanks, Jeff

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander
Volvo Penta part number is 876294. Old number is 875256. There are multiple sources for these at different price points. If you're not the kind of person that enjoys doing periodic maintenance, might be best to stick with the OEM Volvo parts. I highly recommend that you perform the pressure and vacuum tests on the drive before you get too far. That way you'll know for sure if there are other o-rings and seals that need to be replaced. You can build your own tester or buy one on ebay.

BTW - your engine identification should be on a plate forward of the starter. You'll need both the part number and serial number as you dive into repairs and maintenance.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Replace the raw water inlet casting too

old islander

Petty Officer 1st Class
This outdrive and motor combo (Ford 302) has a water pump mounted on the front of the engine with brackets and a belt driven pulley. That water pump then feeds the water pump on the front of the block. I'm assuming the bracket mounted pump is a raw water pump. The raw water pump is fed from a hose that leads down to the outdrive. Is there a third water pump in the outdrive? or is that just a water pickup point for the raw water pump?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Please explain the raw water casting?????

look it up - simply google volvo 280 raw water inlet casting - its the casting that the hose connects to on your outdrive on the swivel pin (just under your u-joint bellows)

its the inlet casting on the volvo AQ drives that needs service (replacement) every few years. go to volvopentastore.com and look up what you need for your 280

for my 290 its casting 354031. never had one last longer than 5 years (fresh water) or 2 years in salt and I epoxy coated the last two. having a stainless one welded up this week at work.

here is a link where you can view manuals on-line http://boatinfo.no/lib/library.html

here is where you can buy manuals http://www.volvopenta.com/volvopent...lication_search/Pages/publication_search.aspx

old islander

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thank you Scott. My manual got here today so I can study the drive in depth. It's always a bit intimidating at first when dealing with a drive I have never seen before.