Motor overheated, then wouldn't go forward, only backwards

Equiles11

Cadet
4.3 I/o Volvo Penta in a an 18' regal bowrider. 1999.

Took the boat out on Sunday. Started to overheat. Figured it was the impeller (haven't checked yet). Put her in neutral and
rev'ed to get the temp down. Got where I was going and parked for a couple hours. Motor was off. Started her back up to leave and it wouldn't go forward. Just rev'ed. As if it were still stuck in neutral. Had to paddle to the nearest slip. Took her home and rinsed her off, hooked up muffs and the prop spun just fine when I accelerated. Can someone please help as to why she would do that? Would a bad impeller over heat the motor AND temporarily give acceleration issues?

wrench 3

Commander
The only thing that comes to mind is if the exhaust got hot enough it could have damaged the shift cable.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Did you use the neutral button on the shifter? maybe it was stuck in.

Equiles11

Cadet
The only thing that comes to mind is if the exhaust got hot enough it could have damaged the shift cable.

I thought it was the shift cable too until I got home and got the muffs on it and the prop spun again.

Equiles11

Cadet
Did you use the neutral button on the shifter? maybe it was stuck in.

I'm thinking it's possible but I did all I could to get it out at the time and it still wouldn't rev. Then it gets unstuck on the ride home? Seems random but to me it seems like the only possibility. I just didn't know if a chunk of the impeller in the system could cause shifting issues.

wrench 3

Commander
There's no place in the cooling system where debris from the impeller could effect the shifting.
It will be interesting to see what happens when you get it back into the water.