Which SX Drive Service Manual should I use?

GMTK

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've decided that I'm not going to pay my local dealer $1000 to inspect and replace the bellows and I think I can do it myself based on this forum and the advice a lot of people have given. I would like a manual as well to assist me through the process. I have a 2004 Penta SX drive on a red volvo 4.3GXI-E. If anyone has a link or recommendation for a good manual, I would appreciate it. Also, if anyone has a rough time estimate on how long it should take me to pull the drive and replace the bellows (assuming the gimble bearing is still good) and check alignment, please chime in.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
you can go to boatinfo.no and use the manuals there. Any model year that uses the SX-M drive will work. The EY model SX manual will work for what you want to do. 2004 was the last year of the SX-m and then the SX-A started.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
go online-boatinfo.com

Intimidating, but relatively easy to do. It will be a good time to check other preventative maintenance items in the drive line.

GMTK

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks guys. Was able to open that site on my desktop but not my iPad or phone. Is there a book version you recommend?

GMTK

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Tons of thanks Bruce. Going to order the manual and begin my research and prep.

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I did my bellows myself a few years back - seems daunting, but it is not hard. Give yourself 2.5 hours to pull the drive, install the bellows, and re-install the drive. Don't forget to grease your u-joints and spline while you are in there. Did you pick up a set of retaining ring pliers?

GMTK

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I did my bellows myself a few years back - seems daunting, but it is not hard. Give yourself 2.5 hours to pull the drive, install the bellows, and re-install the drive. Don't forget to grease your u-joints and spline while you are in there. Did you pick up a set of retaining ring pliers?

I've got a set of retaining pliers.

*update - I was about to tackle this when my house flooded so the outdrive pull will have to wait.... sad face.

GMTK

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yep, went on vacay for a weekend and while we were gone the hot water heater outlet port busted and flooded my house. 4500 gallons of water. So instead of working on the boat and being on the lake I've been replacing baseboards and hardwoods.