4.3L GL overheating issue

kd4uga

Cadet
I started up my 4.3L GL for the first time yesterday on the muffs. It started running hot. I checked the raw water impeller and it was good. I pulled the hoses of the raw water pump and turned the water on and no water is coming out of the supply hose in the bilge. I put the garden hose in the supply hose in the bilge and water came out of the outdrive so I don't think it is blocked? I put the muffs back on and turned on the water and again no water from the supply hose in the bilge. It seems to me water should be gushing out of the hose in the bilge. Any ideas on this issue and how to fix it would be greatly appreciated.

Engine - 4.3GL PEFS (4012004849), Outdrive - SX-M 1 79 (4112094763), Transom - SX-MLT (4111633176)

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I use the type muffs that supply water on both sides.

Check the hose that attaches to the pivot housing for kinks. I agree...shouldn't be a problem if you put water in the supply line at the raw water pump.

kd4uga

Cadet
I can't see any kinks although there are sections of the hose that I can't see without taking the outdrive off. I bought a new pair of muffs with no luck. If I squeeze the muffs tight to the outdrive, water flows like it should. I think I will put it in the river and see what happens. I don't have a better idea right now.

kd4uga

Cadet
I put the boat in the river and everything worked fine. I still am puzzled why it doesn't pump water on the muffs.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
What type muffs are you using? What water pressure are you supplying? You have the hose on full?