Oil Change '00 4.3GL-Pic

Sunken Ship

Petty Officer 1st Class
I pumped all of the oil out, but I just don't think I got it all. This is the first oil change since the engine rebuild last summer. Just want to make sure I am doing this correctly. Idled engine for about 10 minutes to think the oil first. Any suggestions or is this correct? Thanks.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
See that hose fitting at the top of the tube that you stuck your skinny tube into? Get a pump that threads onto those threads. Way easier to get the oil out that way.

Sunken Ship

Petty Officer 1st Class
See that hose fitting at the top of the tube that you stuck your skinny tube into? Get a pump that threads onto those threads. Way easier to get the oil out that way.

Thanks Bruce.
Had no idea what that was for. My first inboard.

Did I get all of the old oil out this way?

Last edited:

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
I've tried all possible ways and still can't get all the oil out of my Volvo. I think it's just the way things are designed.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I get all the oil out of my engine. That tube goes down and threads into where the drain plug is on the pan. My engine takes 9 qts. I get 9 qts out.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Thanks Bruce.
Had no idea what that was for. My first inboard.

Did I get all of the old oil out this way?
As long as you got that skinny tube down to the point where the dipstick tube curves over to the bottom of the pan you did. If you get the pump that threads into that garden hose fitting, you know you will for sure.

Sunken Ship

Petty Officer 1st Class
I pushed the hard plastic tube down to the point where it stopped. I let the pump go to the point where I am certain it will not extract another drop, so I will call it good.

Tried to change it last Fall, but I had already drained the engine. Oil was too thick to get out with this pump, so i waited until now to get the water house out and warm the engine. Helped, but I just wanted it to pump out better.

Oil looks good - had about 10-15 hours on it:

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
I remember you asking about this. You use a pump that threads into the garden hose fitting at the top of the dipstick tube?
I've used several methods which includeing the tube within tube method and the garden hose screw on adapter method. Electric pump and vacuum hand pump, bow up and bow down, just about every method there is.

ericga

Petty Officer 1st Class
If the skinny tube doesn't seal with the dipstick tube and vacuum is too high, you'll end up sucking air before you fully empty the pan. Ideally, change your oil 30-60min after a good ride and use a threaded fitting. You'll probably get all the oil out that way. Also the filter and remote filter lines contains quite a bit of oil. You need to allow enough time for it to return to the pan.

I change my oil at the end of the season after a good cruise ride to the boat storage place. I remove the filter on arrival and pump the oil out 1h later. I use a PELA 650 extractor modified with a threaded adapter. I get all the oil out.