lower gear assembly? part number for Volvo Penta 4.3 GL-E (serial no 4012188312)

rordog206

Cadet
Can someone help me identify the name and part number for the silver rudder thingy with the water intake holes, and rudder?

is this called the lower gear assembly? what is the part number?

as you can see from the picture, just below where the prop would be, there is a large chunk missing, got a bit wound up w/ my anchor chain.

also: i plan to replace, have any good schematics? videos? etc . .

Attachments

• photo261465.png
    photo261465.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
that is the skeg on the bottom of the casting. the whole lower unit is really expensive (about $6400 from volvo) . that little missing chunk shouldnt hurt anything unless you cracked the case.

most full service marine shops that weld on replacement skegs can repair that in about an hour for under 100 this is what I would do

you need special tools to set up a complete lower if you were intending on swapping over your stuff. you would need new bearings too.

however you can go to volvopentastore.com and look up your casting number, then have a heart attach when you see the price (a complete lower off of ebay would be 1/5th the price)

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,...... That ding oughta have Zero effect of yer drive,.... No real reason to fix it,....