Expectation for bellows replacement

JackBronson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am looking at a 2007 Four Winns with the 4.3l Volvo with 110 hours. I expect that the boat will get 60 hours of use this summer from a trailer.

Given the boats age, what is a reasonable expectation for how long the original bellows might last? I realize there are variables. I'm thinking most about the staying power of the rubber over time.

Is the bellows replacement on this a similar procedure to the Mercruiser Alpha?

Thanks.

Horigan

Chief Petty Officer
It depends on how it was stored. Was it stored with the drive down and only raised for trailering, or was it raised all the time except when boating? I would just inspect it for cracks or signs of aging to determine if it should be replaced.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
If it hasn't been replaced, it needs to be replaced. 5 years is the recommended interval.

JackBronson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Bruce
is that recommended interval in any manual? The owner definitely views his boat as "like new" and it is for sure. Unfortunately that skews his idea of the value with certain things like the bellows and the trailer tires. I have to convince him that 10 year old rubber isn't necessarily a good thing. Not sure how that's gonna go.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
I'd plan on replacing unless the previous owner indicates it has been done recently. If you can do it yourself, it's not that difficult.
I bought my current boat and should have had it done. After the first season I found that I had a leak for some time and had to replace the gimbal and u joints at the same time, very costly. Ten years is ten years. The drive probably needs pulled to check things out anyway, if never done.

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade
10 years is a long time for rubber bellows, no matter how well it was treated. If the original is still on there, I'd be planning on replacing it.

It can be done by removing the drive and exhaust bellows. Depending on your handiness, an hour or so job. If it's been leaking unnoticed, you could have a lot more to replace.

Your boat year doesn't necessarily compare to the engine year, and there are several models of the 4.3 engine, so we aren't sure exactly what you have. But the owner's manual can be found in the link below and it recommends checking the bellows annually and replacing every 2 years. I swear I've seen "every 5 years" somewhere but I checked the bulletins too and no luck.

http://www.volvopenta.com/VOLVOPENT..._ENGINES/Pages/out_of_production_engines.aspx

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Bruce
is that recommended interval in any manual? The owner definitely views his boat as "like new" and it is for sure. Unfortunately that skews his idea of the value with certain things like the bellows and the trailer tires. I have to convince him that 10 year old rubber isn't necessarily a good thing. Not sure how that's gonna go.
I don't remember what manual it would be shown in. I just looked at my drive's service manual and it doesn't have anything in it.

Tires should be replaced at 5 year intervals as well.

Not sure why it would matter when the previous owner thinks it needs to be done, it needs to be done.

JackBronson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks to everyone for the replies. The bellows and tires are original. I've been inside the Merc Alpha outdrive, had it off many times. done a shift cable replacement. Have never owned a Volvo.

Bruce, to answer your question about why it would matter what the owner thinks, he is the one setting the selling price. If he thinks they don't need to be replaced because of the low use, that is an obstacle that must be overcome in negotiating the boat's real value.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Been a long long time since owning an Alpha but the Volvo bellows is not hard at all. The hardest part of the job is pulling the drive and as long as its been pulled on a regular basis, it shouldn't be bad. After pulling the drive, removing the pivot bolts could be hard if it was used in salt water much. I use my boat in salt and they aren't bad at all.

Even if you have to pay someone to do the bellows, its not an expensive repair unless there is water in there. Will be interesting to ask the owner how many times he has had the drive off. I do mine annually or semi annually.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
The Cobra/SX style bellows can last 10 years under optimal conditions; but do not assume this . Tilt the drive all the way up. Get a flashlight and look for small cracks starting in the folds of the bellows. When you see that it's time.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
And as Bruce said they are easy to replace; as long as the drive comes off and the hinge bolts come out.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
The problem is...are you willing to take a chance having a potential $5K repair for the price of changing a $50 bellows every 5 years.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
FWIW- sometimes the bellows can look good with no cracks and still be bad and full of water as the seal at either end of the bellows "tube" can be bad an leak.

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade
If you have some patience working in tight spaces, the pivot housing doesn't have to be removed. I've done 3 bellows replacements just by removing the drive, exhaust bellows, and water intake tube. There's plenty of room to work on the u-joint bellows this way.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Removing the pivot housing is pretty easy and its good to actually remove those bolts every 5 years anyway. Makes the job way easier. Probably actually makes the time to change it shorter in the long run. I never remove the exhaust bellows or the water intake. I just push the pivot housing out of the way.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I agree with Bruce here it's good to remove those pivot housing hinge pins every 5 seasons or so you don't want them to seize due to corrosion. I coat the threads with OMC gasket sesler to keep out water and corrosion. Works great on out drives left in the water even salt.