2007 Volvo Penta SX-A Sea Water Output Hose Fitting Broke off at outdrive

Status
Not open for further replies.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
The hose actually stays below the water line all the way to the raw water pump which is also below the waterline.. After that the water enters the engine and then eventually exits out the risers which is above the waterline.

dennis461

Chief Petty Officer
It's below the water line, but the hose rises up and above the water line. It will not sink your boat .

And the OP wrote "...and the hose isn't mated with the drive."

so, he must have the boat out of the water.

No different than the rubber hose for the Galley sink, the hose bottom and through hull are below the water line and the sink is above (unless we are heeled over good)

dhardest, get her fixed up, it's getting warm and sunny outside.

SotaExpress

Recruit
Dhardest,

I feel your pain with this issue. I had a 2012 Regal Fasdeck Volvo Penta that had the little black tube connector (#9) snap in 2 pieces - leaving the threaded end stuck in the body of the lower end unit. The exact same thing happened to me recently with my 2015 Regal 28 Express Volvo Penta. It seems that this black connector piece is poorly designed.

I keep my boat on my lift and I have no trailer...so for me to get this piece out of the lower end unit without removing it...was no easy task.

But before I put the new connector piece back in....I lubed the outside of it with grease and I found that a 3/4 pvc pipe fits perfect on the inside of it. So I glued in a piece of PVC pipe to the connector piece and then beveled the inside lip of the PVC with a rasp so it would not impede the water flow.

I am hoping that this will prevent it from breaking in the future. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

SotaExpress

dhardest

Seaman
SotaExpress - that's actually a good idea. Wish I had seen your post before I replaced my fitting. I'll keep my fingers crossed that this new one doesn't break again for quite a while. The first lasted about 10 years so if I get that from my replacement then I'll be happy. But that'll be another thing to check on a regular basis now that I know it can break.

dhardest

Seaman
Another reason it won't sink the boat (even though this fitting is below the water line) is because that hose leads to the raw water pump impeller. If the impeller/engine isn't running water won't flow. If the engine WAS running, and boat was not on plane, then this is below water line and the pump would pull water in through the open connection near the fitting. If on a plane, pump would be sucking air and impeller would burn up and engine overheat. Either way - not sinking (but not good either).

08stingray

Recruit
Hello I found this thread and I have the same problem....

The threaded connection on my sx-a outdrive also broke. I was able to get the old fitting out by cutting it with a hacksaw and lightly chiseling it with a screwdriver and Hammer. However now when I got the new fitting it will not thread in any ideas? I have tried spraying some corrosion spray and using a small bruss to clean the threads.

BTW I did all this without removing the outdrive - I turned the wheel all the way to the right, and trimmed it up and worked in the very small space.

Status
Not open for further replies.