Volvo Penta 5.0 GXi-d starting issues

Andymike

Recruit
New to the forum hope everyone is doing well I just inherited a 2004 Reinell 205br w/ 5.0 Gxi-d. Problem is I cannot get it to start. Replaced battery and when I go from on to start position all I hear is a single click (not a thud). Wondering if this would be the relay, but I cannot find a wiring schematic or manual on this model... Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
Had a similar problem once. Check the cable connectors at the starter. It will be on the rear port side of the engine block. I was able to correct my issue by jiggling the cables at the stud/bolts. Corrosion had built up and the jiggle cleaned it a bit.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard

95% of the issues that you have with starting are usually a bad or corroded connection

clean every battery cable contact (both positive and negative) to shiny clean metal. clean enough that your kids can eat off it.

once everything is clean, re-connect and tighten, then seal the connections with marine electrical varnish.

if any of the cables are cracked and green from corrosion, replace them.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
Had a similar problem once. Check the cable connectors at the starter. It will be on the rear port side of the engine block. I was able to correct my issue by jiggling the cables at the stud/bolts. Corrosion had built up and the jiggle cleaned it a bit.

I meant to say starboard side.

Andymike

Recruit
Thanks for the quick responses! Anything else I should check or know other then the obvious hoses and drain the gas tank? I believe it was previously winterized because there are four plugs pulled from the block two on the sides and two from the manifold rear .

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you should NEVER be trying to start the motor without the drain plugs in and the muffs connected when the boat is on a trailer.

the drain plugs are needed no mater what, because if you did get it fired up, you would have pumped the water into the bilge and none out the exhaust. that would overheat the exhaust in a hurry.

Andymike

Recruit
Thanks guys for the help. Ended up being a bad starter and hydrolocked! Did the necessary repairs and it purrs. I always run with muffs and drain plugs while on trailer hahaha... One more newb question if I may, what would be the advantages and the disadvantages of running a four blade prop?