New block for 5.0Gi 1999; how to mount and set ignition?

lars11

Cadet
Hi pros, I am replacing the block of my 5.0gi since it is rusted and actually has a small crack.. It was running great when it happened.
I am getting a longblock with heads. Then, moving all the parts from the current block should be a simple job.

I have one uncertainty and that is the ignition. How do I mount the ignition assy. correctly and how do I set and adjust it? I have only worked on non electronic ignitions before.

thanks

mikeneal

Senior Chief Petty Officer
The principles are the same, I would borrow a oil pump primer from large auto parts stores ( they loan them for free) and then crank it till it's on compression on number one and at TDC. Then just it in with rotor close to where it needs to be on the cap for cylinder number one. Leave loose and distributor as you crank it advance and retard till she fires and then set.

Hi pros, I am replacing the block of my 5.0gi since it is rusted and actually has a small crack.. It was running great when it happened.
I am getting a longblock with heads. Then, moving all the parts from the current block should be a simple job.

I have one uncertainty and that is the ignition. How do I mount the ignition assy. correctly and how do I set and adjust it? I have only worked on non electronic ignitions before.

thanks

evantful

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey Lars11,

Just out of curiosity do you operate in Salt, Fresh or Brackish waters? How many hours on the engine?

lars11

Cadet
salt and brackish waters and just over 500 hrs. I think I had too much rust so that I could not get all water out and then it froze and cracked.

Bondo

Staff member
I think I had too much rust so that I could not get all water out and then it froze and cracked.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... That's why ya gotta poke, 'n prod the drain holes in the block,...

I leave a 3" ssteel deck screw layin' on the intake manifold, Just for that reason,.. got a couple more in my toolbox for doin' other boats,...