3.0 Volvo penta hard start

Bigskyboat

Seaman
1997 Volvo penta 3.0 carberated.
The engine won't start unless I give it some throttle. Even if I stop the engine, fish for ten mins. Then try to start it again to leave. After it's started it runs great. Starts every spring wonderfully (after I pump the throttle 3-4 times. Which is to be expected after sitting all winter) I know it's carberated, but it seems like it should take off with just a turn of the key after it's warmed up and been running. I can live with it but if it's something that can be fixed that would be great. Thanks

Lawnpro979

Petty Officer 1st Class
Same issue on my VIP 4.3 carb, pump it 3 or 4 times every start.......
I Finley broke down and ordered a carb kit....with the help of YouTube videos, she starts better than my truck....
It wasn't that difficult, hardest part was finding the right kit.....

Best of luck

Lawnpro979

Petty Officer 1st Class
Sure helped me out......I really didn't find anything wrong, or dirty when I did mine. The pump was a little stiff, I couldn't see well enough to tell if the main jet was worn, and the floats were correct......
But mine starts like a new one....

Bondo

Staff member
The engine won't start unless I give it some throttle.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Havin' to advance the throttle to start a carbed motor is not at all uncommon,....

Efi in yer car is quite different,....

Not that tearin' the carb apart, 'n cleanin' it is a bad thing,....
A bigger bang for the buck is puttin' an canister type fuel filter in ahead of the fuel pump, helps alot with today's fuels,...

Bigskyboat

Seaman
But I shouldn't have to advance the throttle if it has been running for 25 mins. And I shut it off for 10 mins...should I?

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... It's Carbed, not Efi,...

Back when cars had carbs, SoP was to step on the gas pedal, when ya turned the key,...