Replacing Volvo Penta 5.0 GXI Motor Mount

dhardest

Seaman
Hello, I have a 2007 Glastron DS215 with a Volvo Penta 5.0 GXI-G engine. I'm not a super experienced marine mechanic by any means but I try to make my way around repairs that i can to save some money now and then. The motor mounts on my engine appear pretty bad as far as corrosion of the bolts, nuts and hardware is concerned. See the pic. I'm curious if these can be replaced without removing the engine. I'd like to do it myself if i can since something like this seems like a potentially expensive job if you take it someplace. Also, when I look at the parts list for engine mounts on the Volvo Penta website for this engine I see the part that looks like the mount in this photo, but I also see the second set of hardware to the right that I haven't visually found on the engine. I'm curious what that second part set is and where it goes. Are there just the two mounts on this engine for the left and right side or are there more that you can't see, maybe farther to the rear of the engine?

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Dennis

IMG_1150.JPG

18620.jpg

Attachments

• 18620.jpg
    18620.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 3

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,...... It appears there's either a hi-mount, or low mount option for the hull-side of that motor mount,....

If ya change out that mount, you'll need to realign the motor, which requires pullin' the drive 1st,....
I'd spray it down with Fluid Film, 'n worry 'bout it whenever the next time the motor needs to come out, or needs to be aligned,...

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the good news - volvo used the same mount for years. they are cheap on ebay

the bad news - the motor needs to be re-aligned anyway (drive must come out), may as well make your job easy and pull the motor

dhardest

Seaman
Hmmmm, I don't have the means to pull the motor ..... I can wait as long as additional (and potentially worse) damage doesn't result. I guess what I'm worried about is this problem getting to the point where wood rot and serious repair needs to be done to the wood that forms the shell of the hull. Again I'm not an expert so don't understand the seriousness of this and how bad or costly it may become. Any idea how expensive it may be to pull the engine to do this, and to have everything re-aligned?

I wonder if it may help even to some small degree to see if I can get the top nut off and replace that at least, since it's accessible. Or maybe also the two bolts that fasten the rubber cushion down. If these bolts get bad enough it would seem as though they would need to be ground off and then how would you get the remaining part of the bolt shaft out of the threaded hole?

alldodge

Staff member
There is rust but don't see anything which would cause me to think it would fail from the pic shown. The stud and nut have plenty of metal available so it does not appear to be an issue now. The small lag bolts holding the mount to the stringers could be an issue, :noidea:

I would suggest checking to see if they are tight and the glass and wood under it has no rot.

If you really want to get into it, remove the drive and support the motor with a jack. Then unbolt the mount from the motor and deck. Clean it all up and replace what needs it. Put it back together and align the motor

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I agree with the above posters. For right now as long as the lag bolts that go into the engine stringer mount are tight I don't think this is going to cause a problem. What I would do is periodically spray the threads and nut with Kano Kroil and let it set. Then wire brush the stud and nut and regularly spray it with Boeshield T9 or Corrosion X. Next make sure that there are no water leaks that could be dripping water such as a manifold/riser gasket.