Trim limit ?

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer
I am getting ready to launch my 2011 Cobalt 232. If all the stories about the boat are true, this will be it's second launch. She's all checked out and ready to go thanks to a lot of you on i-boats. The boat has a large swim deck, and the drive is limited to keep from hitting the deck. There is about 4 inches of clearance when the drive is full up. At that point the bottom of the Duo-prop is a lot closer to the road than I would like. I don't want to grind the drive when going through a dip, so I would like it to raise a little more. I could not see a mechanical device to limit travel. I have a feeling it might be controlled with the ECM. Anyone have an insight on this? I do have a Rinda diagnostic that I can use to change any parameter if that's the direction I need to go. As always, Thanks Dave-R

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
I can't answer any of your questions, but I do wonder: how does the rig sit on the trailer? Is it possible the bunks (or rollers) aren't set up right and the boat (or just the stern) simply sits too low? Is it possible that the angle of the trailer is too steep (like maybe your tow ball is too high? Lifted truck?) Is it possible the suspension on the trailer is shot? Trailer wheels too small?

Fun Times

Staff member
What exact drive model do you have again? Serial number, etc. etc..

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Being a 2011, if you have the DPS-A model drive, the trim/tilt limiters are hardware inside the trim rams that physically stop it from traveling up any more. If you look at OEM parts diagrams for the trim system, you'll see different part numbers for trim rams with varying levels of travel limit. I believe you can take the limiters out and replace with a different size, but it requires a trim cylinder disassembly.

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer
Bruce: I have the boat at a canvas shop today, they are bending us so new poles for the bimini. I will post some pictures when I get it back. I am afraid that it might be as (skydive) suggested, and have internal limiters inside the rams. I think I remember a noise change when hit stopped at the upper limit. As it is the bottom of the drive is below the keel about 4-6". The trailer is original and like new, no sagging, or spring problems. It might be fine, but I would like the drive as high as possible.
Thanks Dave-R

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Mine goes pretty high and will also make a noise change when it hits the top. That will be normal no matter if there are mechanical limits or not.