control lever friction adjustment off idle

gumbyaz

Seaman Apprentice
After the first couple of trips out in my 2008 Glastron GT185 with VP 4.3GL engine and SX-A outdrive, I am trying to see if there is a known way to adjust the control lever friction immediately off-idle. The outdrive shifts fine in forwards and reverse, just once idling along in forwards if I try to hold throttle at about 1000-1200 rpm, the lever springs back to idle unless I physically hold it slightly forwards. It won't "stick" until about 1400 rpm, which is too fast for No Wake travel.

I thought maybe I had a shift travel/adjustment issue, but after pulling the shift cover off the outdrive and watching, it looks to be adjusted correctly (returns squarely to neutral from both forward/reverse). The problem is more prevalent when in gear - i.e. if I actuate the throttle after engaging the neutral button, it holds at low rpm on its own. But I think the issue is centered on the control lever itself since the feel of the control is dramatically different when operated in throttle-only mode - much lighter with no detent feel at all through the travel.

The control lever is a volvo side mount 3855624 style (picture of this style attached). And I pulled the control out of the side of the boat to look at it and investigate. When I push it through the problem spot, I can't see the shift lever on the back of the control assembly trying to move at all by that point of the control travel, hence more reason I don't think the problem is related to shift cable or shift adjustment. The shift cable is original to my knowledge, but boat only has 60 hours on it total, so not thinking that it is worn.

It just feels like I need more friction in the control lever to hold it, but I can't find a manual for this style control assembly. I am attaching a picture of it without the faceplate. There is a silver colored screw at about the 11:00 orientation that I am wondering if it is a friction adjustment? The screw is slightly loose when I put a screwdriver on it, but I haven't adjusted it yet for fear of messing something else up. I can't see any other obvious adjustment screws looking around the whole control assembly.

Thoughts? Thanks!!

Attachments

• photo259535.jpg
    photo259535.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 3
  • photo259536.JPG
    photo259536.JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 7

gumbyaz

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

With some deeper searching, I was able to find an old manual page (attached) for this style control that confirmed that the screw I was asking about above is the friction brake adjustment.

Upon looking deeper at what I took apart last night, I also found the root of my issue: whomever assembled my boat at the factory installed the yellow metal plate that goes on front of this assembly backwards!!! When installed in the correct orientation, there is a cutout hole that lines up right at the 11:00 position for easy access to the friction brake adjustment. All it should have taken was removal of the round-ish cover at the base of the control lever (the cover snaps off very easily), not full removal of the whole control assembly. Of note - there is a second cutout in the yellow plate that looks like it is intended for the same purpose if the control is mounted in a different orientation.

Original issue is fixed, brake able to be tightened, and yellow plate mounted correctly for future adjustments. Pictures attached for clarity - hope this helps someone else down the road.

Attachments

• photo259613.png
    photo259613.png
    162.4 KB · Views: 12
  • photo259614.JPG
    photo259614.JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 8
  • photo259615.JPG
    photo259615.JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 7