Volvo Penta 5.7 GL Drive will not come off

jackd1023

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi , new to me project boat Chaparral sunesta 232. Trying to pull the drive so I can pull the engine. Shift cable disconnected, rams disconnected, six bolts off. This thing wont budge, I don't want to break anything. I tried using the rams to no avail, Please any advise would be greatly appreciated Thanks!!!

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
Had a similar situation a few years back, however I was able to use the rams to finally break it free. When it finally broke loose the gimble came out seized to the drive shaft, what a mess. The bellows had been leaking for some time. Now I pull my drive every winter. I'd go back and try the rams again after rapping the casing on both sides with a rubber mallet trying to break it free.

jackd1023

Petty Officer 1st Class
Can I ask what tool you used in the pry slot? I'm afraid of breaking the case

Thalasso

Commander
Put a block of wood between the top of the drive and the gimble ring and use the rams (trim up)

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
Put a block of wood between the top of the drive and the gimble ring and use the rams (trim up)

That's what I did to free mine. I would not advise trying to pry the pieces apart, you will probably break the casing.

Senior B

Petty Officer 1st Class
You can also cut the u-joint bellows at this point and get some pb blaster or the like sprayed around the shaft and gimbal bearing..Give it time to soak and take your time. Concur with above about not trying to pry them apart.

jackd1023

Petty Officer 1st Class
I cut the bellows, u joints look new zero rust. Sprayed it anyway. Cleaned the "gap" where drive gasket goes, worked it for 2 hours with trim, no luck getting frustrated.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Cleaned the "gap" where drive gasket goes,
Hopefully, there is no drive gasket since one is not required.

Sometimes these will also hang up on the 6 studs. Spray PB Blaster or Kroil on these and let it sit over night.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
If the U joints are nice and dry, it's not that likely that you have corrosion of the drive shaft splines or gimble bearing causing it to be stuck. The fact that Volvo did not use a gasket makes alu corrosion likely where the drive bolts to the pivot housing. Id soak that area throughly with Kano Kroil for a few days tapping around the stud area with a dead blow rubber hammer. When it starts to come use plastic wedges between the drive and the pivot housing to force it apart. When you re install coat the mating surfaces of both the drive and pivot with Evinrude Triple Guard grease. This will prevent it from sticking again. They should have used a gasket! This never happened to me with the OMC Cobra (similar design but has a gasket) . Even with 6 month salt water moorage it comes right off.

jackd1023

Petty Officer 1st Class
Got it!!! One of the rams was leaking, took them off, two bottle jacks, couple pieces of wood......viola!!!!!
I soaked the bolts in Kroil for two days, put pressure on the drive pins, hit the bolts with a brass drift, and it inched off. still amazed corrosion is so tough!

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
triple guard grease.jpg smear this stuff on the mating surface for the drive & pivot housing and anywhere you see corrosion, then next time it will be easier. Also coat the splines on your driveshaft with this as well....