Falling on It's Face - VP501 DPA

alldodge

Staff member
just like someone pulled a kill switch.
Could a lack of juice at the helm cause this somehow?

Leaning more toward electrical with this last run. Corrosion and reduced voltage or a loose connection can cause it to die. There doesn't seem to be a pattern as to when it happens, so a bad connection is what I would look for

Hook'd

Seaman
I'm going through and checking all the grounds. I'm getting 14+ volts at the dash, 11-12 at the coil, pump, etc.

Tomorrow I'm gonna replace the ignition module and coil, for a Thursday run. If that doesn't work I'm gonna start rewiring the boat.

A lot of accessories have been added to the helm with undersized power and ground.

Hook'd

Seaman
Cautiously optimistic! After changing the coil I happened to jiggle the coil to distributor wires, and blam; died just like on the water!

Replaced the bad hei coil black wire, and all better.

Sea trial tomorrow will prove it out.

I had suspected the module and coil because one of the pigtail wires discovered at each of the plugs; from red to white. Had jiggled quite a bit without results until now.

Fingers crossed....update tomorrow.

BTW, my ex-mechanic had miss set the timing to 18 advance at idle. I replaced the module and reset it to about 8 at idle. It hit 14 at 2200. Will check WOT advance tomorrow.

alldodge

Staff member
BTW, my ex-mechanic had miss set the timing to 18 advance at idle. I replaced the module and reset it to about 8 at idle. It hit 14 at 2200. Will check WOT advance tomorrow.

Sure glad you found this one, otherwise you probably would have a thread discussing how a hole was burned thru the piston :thumb:

Hope the wire fixes all the current issues

Hook'd

Seaman
Yeah....incredible!

Well I had high hopes...but it happened again today. Starts right back up. I only replaced one end of the coil pigtail. I'll replace the other. I still see this wire as the prime suspect. Here are my other thoughts on it.

1. This time when we restarted, fuel pressure was 0-1. First time I've seen that. But it quickly jumped up to 3-4. I have a 6-8# pump I'll install to get the pressure to spec.

2. Nearly every time I go out I get a low voltage alarm on my fish finder. Is it possible there is too much load at the helm ultimately causing a short or ground fault; interrupting the ignition.

3. I've always been suspicious of the alternator.

4. Should I bite the bullet and do a complete rewire?

5.Not sure if I should keep digging or find a new mechanic and see if someone else can figure it out.

On a really positive note the weather was awesome, we did 60 miles, caught a lot of fish, and had a 15' great white circle beneath the boat!

Thanks for any feedback.

alldodge

Staff member
2. Nearly every time I go out I get a low voltage alarm on my fish finder. Is it possible there is too much load at the helm ultimately causing a short or ground fault; interrupting the ignition.

You have some corrosion some where. The helm isn't drawing the power, the corrosion is like a resistor and it is restricting the power. This restriction can also be lowering the power going to your pump and causing it to run slower. Your pump may be fine, need to find the source.

Pull the main engine harness connector and check the pins

Hook'd

Seaman
Yeah, that explains why it doesn't ever happen straight away. And not under 2400 rpm.

As I noted previously the purple ignition wire from the harness is spliced to hit the alternator, coil, and oil safety switch. I suspect this splice. As well as the other end of the high tensile distributor lead.

Questions: what is the right way to splice the ignition wire 1:3. Where can I purchase the coil to distributor high tensile plug for a AC Delco voyager?

alldodge

Staff member
what is the right way to splice the ignition wire 1:3. .

I would solder the wires, then either use heat shrink tubing which has sealant inside, or use liquid tape followed by regular heat shrink tubing

Where can I purchase the coil to distributor high tensile plug for a AC Delco voyager?

Take yours to an auto parts store and see if they can match it up

Hook'd

Seaman
Well, I completed the rewire, and a lot of other stuff over the winter. Got it done in time for the salmon opener last weekend and got out without issue. It was rough so never took the boat over 2800rpm for any amount of time.

Went out today, and on the way back in...same thing, fell flat on its face, then started right backup.

I've rewired the boat, gone through the fuel system, new alternator. The only thing I have not done at one time or another in this process is replace the distributor.

So the rubik cube of my boat continues.

I'm now leaning to the distributor because I have swapped the coil, Ignition module, hei wires, cap, rotor at one point or another.

The only other thing I can think of is an intermittent fuel pump issue related to the oil pressure switch. But it just feels like fuel wouldn't cause an abrupt stall, only to restart immediately.

Let me know if you think of anything.

Thanks!

alldodge

Staff member
Have you pulled the engine harness connector and checked the pins?

While having the connector apart check continuity, many have had corrosion behind the pin on the wire

Hook'd

Seaman
I rewired the boat completely. Harness, main switch, panels, accessories, everything. I'm back to looking at fuel too. I'm gonna place a suction gauge between the tank and pump. Other than that must be the ignition?

alldodge

Staff member
Did a complete rewire, if that does not include replacing the engine harness connector, then I still have the same question

Have you pulled the engine harness connector and checked the pins?