Volvo Penta 250 outdrive - broken bell-housing - suggestions on repair options

panormc

Recruit
I have a 1971 pipestone mariner restore project with the rebuilt Volvo Penta B30 6 cylinder motor and 250 outdrive. After lots of work, we had a great summer of fishing and skiing.

However last weekend we got stranded. Water started pouring in filling the whole back of the boat, got the bildge on, and assessed the damage. Water was coming in fast, leaking from all edges of the bell housing, and what appeard to be below the oil pan. Went to start, and the fairly new starter was fried.

Was able to get a tow and trailered the boat. Pulled the starter to find water all in it, and in the bellhousing-flywheel. A bit of metal shavings were detected.

The outdrive had been making some rather loud noises, so I had expected something to happen eventually. Upon close inspection of the outdrive, found the center bellows connection to the bellhousing completely broken off. (Which is where the water was pouring in.

My question is, should I plan on replacing the bellhousing, shaft and bearings? Could I just weld the break? Or could there be more going on that actually caused the break, and I should consider full outdrive replacement? Any suggestions? (Pics attached)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    71.1 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    53.2 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    134.6 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    109 KB · Views: 0

CV16

Chief Petty Officer
What kind of loud noises was it making and for how long?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
My guess is that the u-joints hit the area that the bellows attach to and broke it off. That could be cause by a number of things including intermediate bearings that disintegrated to u-joints that failed.

Sorry to say but noises are something you don't ignore and wait for something to fail eventually. You are very lucky you didn't sink.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would look at a new PDS. you need new bearings anyway

panormc

Recruit
Thanks for the replies.
The noise was a loud intermittent low "grinding" that would come and go for about 10-15 seconds, then it would clear up and run fine.
Looks like it is done for the season, and will have a project for the winter. Will take apart and do a little digging on the forum for help. Thanks again....

panormc

Recruit
No Title

I finally got the motor lifted, and the outdrive removed to find the that bellhousing had completely broken off along with the shaft. Have been looking for days to try to find a replacement bellhousing with no luck.

Curious if anyone might have one, or know of a good place to look? I've tried all ebay, and most marine parts shops online with no luck. The bellhousing part number is 831003, but it appreas I could also use replacement 831613. Thanks!

Attachments

• photo264504.JPG
    photo264504.JPG
    133.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo264505.JPG
    photo264505.JPG
    118.7 KB · Views: 1
  • photo264506.JPG
    photo264506.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 1

dennis461

Chief Petty Officer
Is the boat in great shape? If it is a restore project and the boat is still gutted out, you may want to consider cutting your losses. The bell housing, shaft bearings, u-joints and yokes cost are going to add up quickly. If the transmission took a beating also...