Belt Tensioner - How to tell if faulty

chappy250

Recruit
Hi

Just trying to diagnose a fault i have. I have what appears to be squeaking mice at low revs coming from engine compartment. I have check the belt for wear and tear and looks okay to me.

Does not seem to be excessive move, and all pulleys are rotating.

The only doubt i have it the belt tensioner - this is suppose to auto adjust the tension on the belt, but how do you know if its working as it should be?

Thank you in advance

Cat nip

Petty Officer 1st Class
Sounds like you have a multi rib serpentine belt, they wear out long before they show signs. The groves get a little wider and starts riding a hair lower on the pulleys. And the smooth side gets a little glaze on it. If the tensioner is bad it will bounce and make more of a chattering noise. You most likely have a worn belt. When you take the belt off make sure the tensioner has plenty of tension on it and spin the pulleys by hand and make sure none of them feel or sound rough like an old roller skate wheel.

Thalasso

Commander
Squeaking at low revs? look at the crank pulley. I'll bet it has some rust on it.

meder24

Seaman
Although no tensioner on mine persay, I too have recently had a chirping belt at low revs. The belt did not look bad but after installing a new belt this weekend, the chirp is gone.

meder24

Seaman
I assumed so. Not many people refer to their cars using "Engine compartment".