Cracked heads always = cracked block?

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer
The wife and I picked up a 2007 Four Winns Horizon with a 4.3 GL engine. The owners sold it because the heads have freeze cracks. I planned on getting a new long block when I bought the boat, but after looking at the block real close, the block looks good. I'm wondering if I got a new set of heads if I'd be okay. I bought a boat once that had a cracked 4.3 block and it was cracked in the water jacket area, very easy to see. Any one have experience with just the heads having freeze cracks with the block okay? Thanks Dave-R

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... If the heads were freeze damaged, I'd say ya got slim to no chance that the block didn't,....

The 4.3l will split in the lifter valley, or inside, opposite the drain plugs,...

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks Bondo: I guess if I'm going to do it, I,d better do it right. Like always your help is appreciated. Dave-R

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
The manifolds probably also have freeze damage

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer
Scott you are right about the exhaust manifolds. The previous owner did replace both of those hoping to fix the problem. I pulled the engine today, and sure enough both heads have nice cracks in them. I'm ready to buy a new 4.3 long block, and I have one more question. The engine is a 2007 4.3 GL, and has the remote oil filter option. On older engines I've seen had an adapter that bolted up to where the oil filter normally would be. This engine has the block casting to receive both oil hoses. Do all the new 4.3 crate engines come this way, or do I need to order a special engine to accomplish this? Thanks Dave-R

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer
Yes they do Jimmbo. I pulled it all down today and found the cracks in the block, and when I was cleaning up the intake guess what? Yep, hairline little crack there also. I did read today that the brass plug in the intake should be drained as part of winterizing also. Dave-R