Broken pitot tube?

jackmorgan

Seaman Apprentice
Hi, Just joined the forum! I'm new to marine repairs but have a great deal of experience with automotive repairs. Just purchased a 2007 four winns vista 258 with a 5.7 Gi-G engine and DPS outdrive. I noticed the ujoint bellows was in bad shape and decided to replace it. Pulled the drive and in the manual it said i had to remove the pivot housing (after careful examination i don't think this is the case?). I followed the service manual step by step, and it said to disconnect the water tube, before the pitot connector (small white plastic connector with 4 tabs on the bottom left of the exhaust outlet - pic from service manual attached). The pitot connector is attached to a tube that runs up through the transom. On my drive it was ziptied to the water line and when i removed the water line this pitot tube snapped off at the connector. What is this tube / connector for? From my research it may have to do with the speedometer, but i can't find any schematic listing this part (everything else is there). If is is for the speedo can i just block this off (and use my gps)? Any help would be appreciated - i need to get the boat out of my driveway asap. Thank you.

20160505_214537 (1).jpg

Jack Morgan

Attachments

• 20160505_214537 (1).jpg
    20160505_214537 (1).jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 4

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

Yes, it's for the speedo. No need to cap it, it won't cause any trouble. Just pull the tube up out of the way for a cleaner look instead of dangling, but dangling won't hurt either. Get the boat out of the drive and you can worry about it later, it isn't a pressing issue./.

jackmorgan

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks! Any idea what the part number is for this tube/connector? I can't find it in the service manual or online schematics (everything else seems to be listed). I'll probably replace in the fall.

Jack