5.7 Gsi not starting, no fuel pump startup?

monkfe

Cadet
So I have a 1999 Parker with a 5.7 Gsi engine.(model pwtr or something like that I believe). I started it after its winter hibernation and it started ok and ran for a bit. I noted the starter was making some noise(like bad gear meshing) when starting so I ordered a new one and replaced it(new one sounds good). I then attempted to start it. It turns over fine but no start. I noted I didn't hear the fuel pump 2 sec prime when the key is switched on so I located the fuel pump relay and determined that the coil was not being energized. I then replaced both the fuel pump and ignition relay as there both the same age. Turns out the ignition relay was actually shot (switch contacts not the coil) but upon replacing them both still no start. I located the wiring diagram, http://boatinfo.no/lib/volvo/manuals/ef_wiring.html#/10 and now I'm trying to understand both the ignition coil activation and the ecu turn on power. Looking at the diagram it appears that I have the wiring diagram for the 4.3 Gi listed in this manual vs the 5.7. I say this only because I have four wires coming out of my ignition coil relay vs three shown in the 5.7 wiring diagram? Which brings up my next question, how is this coil (of the relay) activated. My understanding is that the purple wire(which really seems more pink on my harness) go to the exc input on the alternator which supplies a voltage to the alternator when the key is turned to the "on" position. If there is no voltage on this wire (which there isn't) how does the ignition relay get activated ? Is pin number 9 on J1 the power up pin for the ecu? I've checked my grounds (rear of engine where the battery connects (cleaned and checked them out with an ohm meter)all seems good there. Thanks gents in advance...

Shaper79

Petty Officer 1st Class
You need the seloc repair manual. Mine covers 92 - 02. This is a must must have. I'll try to look threw it and see if I can find somthing for you.

alldodge

Staff member
Howdy and :welcome:

Your looking in the right area and so far as the three on the 4.3 and less on the 5,7 I don't see but no worries. You need a good manual and the OEM is the way to go. The relays are turned on by the ECM by the ECM applying a ground to the relay, same happens to the distributer.

Pin J1-9 goes to the DLC connector on 4.3 and 5.7.

This is how the MEFI 3 EC works. Key turns ON and applies power to the ECM via the main power relay on the purple wire to J2 pink/wht-32. The ECM then grounds the fuel pump relay for 2 seconds if all checks and sounds beeper twice if all checks out.

When cranking starts ECM checks for pulses coming from the distributer, no pulses then the ECM will not pulse the injectors.

Have you checked the fuses?

mefi 3 vp.jpg

monkfe

Cadet
Ok, I'm going to assume that your drawing is the correct one and that makes sense with pin 32 being the power pin for the ECM . The fuses (breakers) are good and I have 12v power at the relay (pin 30), but no 12v across the main relay coil. It seems the keyed power(purple wire) is shown here connected to that coil, when I first looked at this, I thought the purple wires were separate, but now realize the buzzer (which for some reason my engine doesn't have one- ordered) and relay power are all connected and I will look into that more closely tomorrow.

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
I'm using the same drawing your using. In my first post I did say ECM turns on relays when I should have said relay, just the Fuel pump is turned on by by applying a ground to pin 85. There should be 12V on pins 86 and 30. When the ground is applied to pin 87 the relay should energize and pass 12V to pin 87 from 30.

The Ignition (main power) relay has a ground on one side of the relay coil on pin 85. When power is applied to pin 86 by Purple wire from Key, main power is connected from 30 to 87 turning on the ECM

relay.jpg
VP Power.jpg

If your not getting 12V on the Purple wire when turning the key to ON, this would be the issue. There is a 20 amp fuse feeding the ignition, and can be an inline fuse close to the key switch. Can also be the key switch

monkfe

Cadet
Thanks guys for the help... after not seeing the 12v at the purple wire coming from the helm, I traced it back to the molex connector under the helm which I totally forgot about( I hate those things..nothing but corrosion and problems). I must have hit it when I was installing my stereo and was just holding on enough I guess for the starter wire to make contact...go figure. Reconnected it and fuel pumps activated and engine started!...The good thing is that I did find the faulty main relay which was probably going to fail at any moment.