Normal operating temperature AQ131?

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
My boat has the AQ131 (or 230A) with the closed cooling. I am curious as to what the normal operating temperature of my fellow iboaters is? Mine seems to run hotter than I would have expected. It runs close to 200 according to my gauge. The engine doesn't seem terribly hot when I lift the cover - no leaking smoke anywhere. ;)

I just looked it up in the manual and see the normal operating range is 165-194 degrees so I guess I am okay, if on the hot side of normal. I have already put in a new impeller, so I believe I am okay there. Just want to see what other boaters experience with a similar engine temperature wise.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
I understood 180 is the temp.
If your running a bit hotter??
The manifold (how old?) could be clogging up,(salt water?) or in the reservoir, the heat exchanger could be clogged?
Sand and gunk gets in there and settles and turns hard and cuts down on the efficiency.

The only way to test is dismantle and do a flow test.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
The manual says the thermostat begins opening at 180 and is fully open at 198. The manifold is warm and I can easily rest my hand on it.

thermostat_zpskvezlrvu.jpg

Here's where the gauge stays pretty much constant - either cruising or idling. (Don't know if it is accurate... there are no signs of overheating so I guess I am alright). :

2016-04-29%2016.42.11_zpsque34xdo.jpg

Last edited: