New guy to boating world.

jbcurt00

Staff member
How about we move this over to the Volvo motor forum.

The forum you posted this to is really intended for the work on the boat and hull.

Welcome to iboats

When you start to tear into the boat and plan the work to put it all back together, swing back to this forum and start a topic (w pix please) about the boat work.

Goldie1276

Cadet
Ok. Thanks. I do have questions about the wood I'll need to replace the flooring and also the type of foam I'll need to replace the foam I lost.

Goldie1276

Cadet
Hello everyone. I'm in need of some help. I got myself into a big mess I think. I bought a 1977 Chrysler sports furry boat off of someone who was going thru hard times. It has a Volvo Penta engine. It does not run, it does not turn over. I can't even get the gas cover off. So I need ideas on what I can try and do. I'd like to do this project myself. Hope there is help for this boat. Please help.

alldodge

Staff member
Howdy

You started off with a Volvo Penta question and went to boat restoration, then started another thread in the VP section. You need to have posted three times before you can post pics. Pics can be linked from sites like photobucket or uploaded from your computer. Here is how to do it from the computer
Pic upload 1.jpg
Pic upload 2.jpg

Lawnpro979

Petty Officer 1st Class
Welcome, and welcome to boating world. Sounds like you Jumped right in.... " Like I did" sounds like the boat may have been abused as far as storage. you may try some wd40 around the fuel cap. as far as the engine goes there's going to be a ton of check this and that......
as you may know. it's time to winterize. also check all the fluid's and change them before anything. a new battery sounds like is in your future. then after getting that you will just have to turn her over and hopefully it will start. and we can go from there. I'm wondering how long it was since it ran ?

jbcurt00

Staff member
All right, got the 2 engine question topics merged into the Volvo forum.

As it was a duplicate post, word for word, I deleted the duplicate post after I merged the 2 topics.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Ok. Thanks. I do have questions about the wood I'll need to replace the flooring and also the type of foam I'll need to replace the foam I lost.

Go back to the resto forum and start a new topic about the boat and the boat work ahead of you.

Suggestion: title the resto forum topic something relative to the boat like

1977 Chrysler Sport Fury redo

Then ask boat resto questions there, and post pix. Personally I prefer to use (and recommend) using a 3rd party host for pix like Photobucket.

Ask motor questions here in this topic.

Goldie1276

Cadet
Ok. This is a Volvo engine question. I believe I'm in the right forum. I got it started. Now the radiator leaks. What type of sealant can I use?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
1977 Volvo made a BUNCH of different motor/drive combo's.
Tell us what you have?​

Radiator?? No radiators on these motors.
It's probably a heat exchanger, where's it leaking?
I wouldn't use any sealant. Fix the leak, unless it's cracked housing or some other part??
A new cap or just pulling​ the pipe off and reinstalling can stop a leak.

You get pics yet?
I can post them for you if you can't.

Last edited:

Goldie1276

Cadet
It's a AQ140a from what is says on the motor. And I'm still new here and don't know how to put pictures on here. Can you explain to me how to do that? Thank you.

Bondo

Staff member
And I'm still new here and don't know how to put pictures on here. Can you explain to me how to do that?

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,... It's explained in post #6 of this thread,....