1st time winterizing Volvo penta 4.3 W sea pump

Lawnpro979

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey all:
Correct me if I'm wrong. But everything I have read. I can drain all the water in the engine. and fog. and use fuel stabilizer and that's that....
OR I can fog, fuel stabilizer, and run antifreeze through the engine. and that's that ?

I was confused about the sea pump and how it works. I'm assuming it pulls water through the engine. so the antifreeze will get there. and there will be NO hose pulling...

Thanks

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
No. Do not attempt to pull AF thru your motor - you will have a freeze damaged motor by spring. Chainge engine oil and filter, Chainge gear oil in drive. Drain the manifolds and block. Drain the pull the impeller cover and drain. Pull the suction line on the raw water pump and drain. Pull the large hose off the circulation pump and drain. Pull plug on intake manifold crossover ( at the t-stat housing) and drain.

Then if AF makes you happy, pull t-stat housing and fill with a funnel

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Antifreeze is poison.
When you start in the spr​ing it has to go somewhere??

The old days it just went into what ever river or ocean you went to.
Now it's against the law.

They make a pink non poisonous antifreeze.

The trouble with just draining and not filling is the insides continue to rust.
The antifreeze or pink stuff slows the rusting.
Air accelerates the rusting.

tpenfield

Staff member
Regular automotive antifreeze is toxic, the RV / marine type is not so much.

The challenge of sucking antifreeze into and through the engine is that the AF does not do a 1-for-1 swap with the water that is in the engine. It is more of a mixing process than a swap.

So, you could suck in 4-5 gallons of AF into the engine and still have a diluted mixture in the engine that will freeze well above what the spec's are for the AF.

That is why you hear of varying approaches to winterization and the related confusion.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
manual still says drain, and optional for long term if you want to add AF, use a funnel and fill from the T-stat housing.