Dual water seperators

BarryTurano

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am currently running a 10 micron FWS on my 1999 VP 5.0 GI (no longer injected now it is carbed). I changed the separator yesterday found a very small bit of dirt (rust looking) in the bottom of the jar. But the motor was not running right so I took off the fuel line to the carb. The screen was full of the same rusty looking crap. Cleaned it out and back to running fine.

Here is the question. The FWS on the motor is a very small capacity filter. I am going to install a second inline FWS upstream of the motor. It will be a high capacity 10 micron. Should I change the FWS on the motor to a 2 micron? Will it cause fuel starvation?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
find the source of water intrusion and rust.

BarryTurano

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The fuel lines are new Problem is when I bought the boat a year and a half ago the boat was laid up for about 3 years I had the tanks drained. I only use non ethanol fuel. I believe what i am seeing is still dirt from the bottom of the tank. That's why I want to put on another inline filter. I will need to keep running and changing filters more often then every fifty hours. The problem came after running in a head sea. I think stuff at the tank bottom got sucked up. Attached are pictures of the fuel that came out of the FWS. Site is not allowing me to upload images. They can be seen on The Hull Truth the thread title is the same.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
pull access cover to tank sending unit. pull tank sending unit. clean tank.

Bondo

Staff member
I believe what i am seeing is still dirt from the bottom of the tank. That's why I want to put on another inline filter. I will need to keep running and changing filters more often then every fifty hours.

Ayuh,..... Ya don't need another filter,.... ya need to clean up the junk, or maybe just buy a few filters, 'n freezer baggies so you can change the filters ya got, when needed,....

Eventually, the crud will be gone,...
The FWS on the motor is a very small capacity filter
Should I change the FWS on the motor to a 2 micron?

Addin' another filter will only change where, when, 'n which filter ya gotta change,...
The filter head on yer motor will accept several different filters, bigger, 'n different micron ratin's,...
Length of filter usually comes down to space available,....
Micons can change with the part number,...
A Good counter guy at a Napa oughta be able to find ya somewhere 'tween a few, or several, to many options for the Merc filter head,....
Napa #s 3225, 'n 3226 fit, 3226 bein' the shorter by maybe 1/2",....

If ya need more space, movin' yer's makes more sense, than addin' another choke point/ vacuum leak potential,...

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
My boat sat dor several years and i had same problem. I bought 10 cheap inline filters and after 6 or 7 everything was running thru clean.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
IF???? You decide to clean the tank????
The sending unit screws strip REALLLLLY easy.
Start spraying with PB Blaster or any other good penetrating oil.

There is a kit to fix the holes but was real hard to find.20 years ago.

If the gunk is in the tank now? it's gonna be there after you think it's all gone through the filters.
Get it professionally cleaned .

Too many filter in line can cause problems of their own.