Volvo aq260, idles fine but stalls in gear

Bigday

Recruit
My engine idles just fine but when put in gear stalls. If I gun the throttle it will catch and run just fine, but when I turn it off it does it all over again. I was taking the carb off and noticed that the choke wasn't connected, could that be the problem? I don't want to take my boat out and that isn't the problem. This is my first boat and I'm still learning it. All help is appreciated.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard.

what is your idle speed? your idle speed should be 650-700 RPM when in gear at idle. that is about 700-750 when in neutral.

is this when the motor is warm, or cold, or all the time?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The choke is used when starting a cold motor.
After that it shouldn't make a difference.
Anyone rebuild the carb?
The accelerator pump might be bad.
When you throttle up it's supposed to shoot a bit of fuel into the intake and give the motor a little boost to help accelerate. ​

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
With the motor warm, you should check your idle jet settings. Can it idle for a long period of time without loading up(running rich)? If so, yo may want to just back out the idle jet screws a little at a time until the engine just starts to stumble and then back in slightly until it doesn't.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
since VP-s ran holley carbs back then, and the AQ260 was prior to the backfire prevention check valve in the carb. if the motor backfired, the power valve could be ruptured. new #35 powever valve is $6, set of bowl gaskets are $10

captmello

Captain
since VP-s ran holley carbs back then, and the AQ260 was prior to the backfire prevention check valve in the carb. if the motor backfired, the power valve could be ruptured. new #35 powever valve is $6, set of bowl gaskets are $10

AQ260 used the qjet carb.