Duoprop out drive rattles

internetdel

Cadet
I have a 2006 Larson 248 LXI with Volvo Penta 5.7 GI Duoprop. The outdrive has never been off or serviced except changing lube. I want to remove it and replace anything -- bearings, bellows, seals, or whatever anyone recommends. I have a feeling it has a problem because it rattles at idle. Any ideas or recommendations are appreciated.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
It is a good idea to be pulling it but u-joints and gimbal bearing don't need to be changed unless they are found faulty. Inspect the u-joints and gimbal bearing for smoothness. I would definitely change the u-joint bellows. You should be changing that every 5 years.

The uppers on these tend to have a rattle sound when in neutral and its just gear lash. Not sure if that is what is going on with yours or not. If you have it running in idle and you turn it hard right or hard left does the noise change?

When you pull the drive, you will need to change the oblong o-ring that surrounds the water passage. You do change all the o-rings on the drain fill plugs when you change the gear oil right?