Volvo Penta SX ---> DPS

bajaunderground

Lieutenant
Hey all you great knowledgeable iboaters!!

I recently purchased a 2003 Cobalt 220 with the 5.7 Volvo Penta GXi with a DPS outdrive. Very happy with the look and performance of the boat. The only thing I dislike is a previous owner had some pitting on the outdrive and rather than sand it and fill, they just used a grinder and painted. Doesn't effect the function, just the look of it. The rest of the boat is in excellent condition.

My question: I have my 1996 Chris Craft with a SX-M out drive 1.66:1 ratio that's in excellent condition...can I switch out the lowers and rams, or would I be unhappy with the performance? My other option is to remove the lower and refurbish with JB Weld/primer/paint?

Anyway, any thoughts?

Thanks,

~Brett

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Keep the Duo-Prop. I would never own a boat without one.

Making any covers for this one?

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
there is no way I would degrade a drive from a duo-prop to a single. I cant even recommend it

bajaunderground

Lieutenant
Okay. Advice taken. Bruce, it actually has all factory covers, bow and cockpit (sunbrella) and a mooring cover (sharkskin). When they are beyond use, then yes, I'll make new ones.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
Agree. Keep the DPS. The lower can be refinished, taking it down to bare metal, the brush marks can be sanded and any divots filled with JB type epoxy. Prime and repaint. The final product may not look showroom, but it will still be better than the SX for your boat.

bajaunderground

Lieutenant
Great looking boat baja!! Congrats!

Thanks Buddy... we just got to a point were we outgrew the 18'. We camp in a large group at the lakes and having to leave friends behind at camp sucks...Still love her and haven't 100% decided what too do with her? Put another 40 hours on her this year and pulled a lot of kids on tubes!

How's your CC been?

~Brett

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Awesome! My CC has been fantastic. Few bumps here and there but nothing more than regular maintenance type work for a boat almost 20 years young. Lots of good times on it this summer and a lot of kids on tubes as well :) Just finished putting her to sleep for the winter. Pulled the outdrive to do the normal gimbal/bellows check up and decided to keep it off and refinish it as well. It's pretty beat up from all the prior years in salt water. I'll probably start a new thread for mine as I've got some issues to sort out in the process. Love improving it year after year though.
Enjoy the new boat!