Muffs or water hose on engine?

1976CV16

Seaman Apprentice
2014 Volvo 4.3 mpi raw water cooling

When you flush your engines cooling system or run antifreeze for winterizing where do you hook the water hose? It has a water hose connector coming off the engine and than of course there's the muffs. Which one should I use?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you are draining the system completely prior to attempting to pour in antifreeze, correct?

For flushing I would use the muffs vs draging a nasty hose into my clean boat and scuffing up the interior.

1976CV16

Seaman Apprentice
Yes, I drained the engine per the owners manual. 4 blue plastic plugs, one on each side of the block and one on each exhaust manifold, pull both hoses on the water pump and the big hose off the thermostat housing.

So it really doesn't matter? The water or antifreeze will fill just the same either way? Good point about a dirty garden hose.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Putting antifreeze through muffs is pretty useless. None will end up in the block.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Putting antifreeze through muffs is pretty useless. None will end up in the block.

adding antifreeze itself is pretty useless. air doesnt freeze.

however if the block has been drained, it will fill the block. however the recommended method of filling with antifreeze is still remove thermostat housing and use a funnel.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
I like to drain the water and refill the block and hoses by taking the thermostat housing off and pouring antifreeze directly into it and the manifolds.