Exhaust sensor wire

Tretatt

Seaman Apprentice
I had my boat overheat on me and it melted the exhaust sensor wire that concets to the top of the manifold. I tried to chase the wire to see where it goes. It leads to the back of the boat somewhere. Any ideas? I need to replace this wire! Is this wire important or can I do without it? Please any help will do
Thanks

thumpar

Admiral
What engine/drive do you have? A serial number would help. There is no exhaust sensor. Maybe an O2 sensor on a very new boat. Take some pics of what you are referring to.

Tretatt

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for the reply!! The motor is a Volvo Penta 4.3GL-J. The wire melted from the exhaust riser. In the pictures I posted there is one on each side. The wire is disconnected and then I reconnected it to the exhaust riser. This is the good wire that is not melted. Thanks so much for any info you can give me.

Last edited:

Tretatt

Seaman Apprentice
I cannot get the photos to upload. It says the file is too big and exceeds the limit. I'll keep trying

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade
That wire is for the exhaust overheat sensor. They are brass plugs installed to the back of both risers, and basically ground out when they reach a certain temperature which triggers an alarm.

How far back is it melted? I would just cut off the melted part and attach new wiring to connect to a new exhaust sensor.