Swapping SP-A outdrive for 275 - can it be done?

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
I am still working on my latest project boat - it is a 1990 Glastron with an AQ131 (or 230A) engine. The current outdrive is an SP-A with hydraulic trim.

I have an option of buying a complete 275 outdrive.

Does anyone know if there will be any issues with replacing the SP-A with the 275? I am still learning my way around the world of these older Volvo Penta units. If someone could let me know if they will interchange or not that would be great!

captmello

Captain
It could be done but not easily. the transom shield is different as well as the upper and intermediate drive assemblies. The hole in the transom is slightly bigger for the SP, and the 275 doesn't have power trim. Otherwise its a direct swap...

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
So... this outdrive will not fit in my current setup. Correct?

275%20outdrive_zpsmbieqstl.jpg

captmello

Captain
No, you'd need the entire outdrive with the transom shield and all the other little pieces.

What is the current state of your outdrive and motor?

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
What is the current state of your outdrive and motor?

I completely disassembled the engine - I was going to rebuild the engine - found a local shop who would bore and hone the block for $80 - a great price! Started pricing pistons, gaskets, etc. Then found a complete running used AQ131 for less money. So I bought that engine complete with bellhousing, etc. So the engine side is good to go.

My outdrive has also been disassembled. There had been water in the bellows which got into the upper double bearing box. I found a new upper bearing box and am in the process of rebuilding it. I found new bearings and pressed them on. I may post another thread with some questions there.

The rest of the upper gear box appears to be in very good condition.

The mid section appears alright, but the bolts holding the swivel pins in place are seized. I may leave them alone for now.

The lower unit looks good. I got it off. But it looks like it may be leaking gear oil. Again - another question for another post!

captmello

Captain
Well, it sounds like you've got it under control. Sorry I can't help with rebuilding the upper except to say, make sure you are shimming everything properly when its going back together or it won't last, and you may need to re-shim it to the intermediate. You sound like a more experienced mechanic than I, but feel free to post your steps as you go, I'd like to watch and learn. Good luck!!

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
I like to take pics as I go along - helps me document what I have done and helps when it comes to putting things back together! ;)

Here's the engine block - you can see where water had gotten into the #3 cylinder. This is even after I honed it to see if it could be cleaned up or not.

2015-08-02%2016.25.43_zpsyxktgc0r.jpg

Here's a look at what salt water does to aluminum - a comparison of the old double bearing box and the used one I found. I was able to get the parts numbers of the bearings (Gear side #31307 - U Joint side #30207 - in case anyone needs the info in the future). The bearings I found cost $10 and $7 brand new - compared to Volvo wanting $165.90 and $111.02. I have discovered that Volvo parts are insane! :eek:

2015-08-02%2016.24.30_zps0xzdfjdx.jpg