MEFI-4 power balance test help

tgell001

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am currently chase a sluggish engine problem that started with a fuel pump failure. 2004 VP 8.1Gxi and I've got got 41 psi at the rail at 2000 rpm and I've completed 90% of the fuel system diagnostic in the manual.

To finish up I need an injector tester which I don't have. But I do have a Techmate Pro that has the ability to do a power balance test that, if I understand it correctly, would point me towards a faulty injector or coil pack.

My problem is when I select the test, rev the motor between 1000-2000rpm it only allows me to select A or H. It says that it's disabling for 5 seconds. I notice no change and the screen doesn't stay on testing screen but for a second and goes back to the screen to select A or H.

I really need some suplimental literature for this because the book is vague. I would think I'd be able to select A,B,C... One letter per cylinder, not A or H only. And it still doesn't seems to do anything. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
You have a private message this is known issue on 8.1's...that is there know to have issue's.

Fun Times

Staff member
need some supplemental literature
Hi there! Did you order a paper back diagnostics service manual for your 8.1l Volvo? This manual isn't available online so it makes it hard to give you accurate advice without it. You'll have to fill in your engine info in the following link to find info about the manuals like seen below. http://www.volvopenta.com/volvopenta...on_search.aspx
Workshop manual
collapse.gif
English (2)
EFI Diagnostics
(only available in printed version)
27/05/2003English
add_to_cart.gif
Engine Mechanical
Engine Mechanical 8.1Gi-B/C/D/E, 8.1GXi-A/B/C/D, 8.1GiI-B/C/D/E, 8.1GXiI-A/B/C/D
(only available in printed version)
13/08/2003English
add_to_cart.gif

To finish up I need an injector tester which I don't have.
Such as an EFI Quick Probe to test the injectors. Here's some videos about the Quick probe in use, http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...DC13B8D3A4AD22

There's also a coil tester that is similar to the EFI probe, http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...CA124DDA533DDA

But I do have a Techmate Pro that has the ability to do a power balance test that, if I understand it correctly, would point me towards a faulty injector or coil pack.

My problem is when I select the test, rev the motor between 1000-2000rpm it only allows me to select A or H. It says that it's disabling for 5 seconds. I notice no change and the screen doesn't stay on testing screen but for a second and goes back to the screen to select A or H.

I really need some supplemental literature for this because the book is vague. I would think I'd be able to select A,B,C... One letter per cylinder, not A or H only. And it still doesn't seems to do anything. Can someone point me in the right direction?
Again without your manual it makes this difficult to say for sure but I'm pretty sure your engine is not set up to do the Power balance Test as the manufacture is the one that turns this feature on and off.

For the test to work, it's more set up for the sequential fuel injection vs the Batch and Semi Batch Injection Fire System. From everything I can find about the MEFI 4 fuel injector firing order for the 8.1l engines, the MEFI 4 only offers the Batch firing order which means there are two injector drivers inside the ECM for all 8 injectors.
If you by chance had the semi injection system, then you would have had 4 injector drivers firing 2 injectors at one time before moving to the next batch of injectors. Had it been Mercruiser's 8.1 then there are 8 injector drivers firing them individually making the power balance test more usable or at the very least more noticeable by way of both offering more choices A,B,C,+ options and feeling a miss fire....Which by the way can only really be felt under load/under way at around 1500 - 2000 RPM. In neutral gear at 1500- 2000 RPM, you won't notice anything.

As only a guide for you to look in your service manual the below link is of the Batch and Semi Batch wiring order for a Merc engine. You'll need to see how many different color wires are running to each injector....Or look at each injector on the engine and post the results for future readers too please. You'll need to turn the page once forward to see the Semi Batch wiring. http://boatinfo.no/lib/mercruiser/ma...ser36.html#/98

Though hard to find, it lnd it looks like your fuel Pressure is good in the 41 PSI range.
Fuel pressure specification for Volvo-Penta 8.1Gi EFI
This spec was so difficult to find I am posting it in a seperate thread. The Volvo shop manual did not have it.
I found it in the volvo-penta publication 7742218 EFI Diagnostics(1).pdf
from page 240
"When the ignition switch is ON and the fuel pumps are running, the fuel pressure indicated by the fuel pressure guage should read 344-413 kPa (50-60psi) for 4.3, 5.0 and 5.7 models, and 248-303 kPa (36-44 psi) for 8.1 models. The spring pressure inside the fuel pressure regulator controls the fuel pressure." > Keeping link for future reference. https://www.carolinaclassicboatowner...enta-8-1Gi-EFI

Power Balance Test (MEFI-4 thru MEFI-6 ECMs Only) The Power Balance Test is designed to assist a technician in finding a problematic cylinder. This test commands the ECM to disable the spark output, or on some systems both spark and fuel, to a selected cylinder thereby causing that cylinder to misfire (not produce power). This test must be enabled by the engine manufacturer. Upon selecting the Power Balance Test the scan tool will query the ECM to see if the test is available. The objective of this test is to determine whether or not disabling a particular cylinder will cause a drop in engine RPM. If a cylinder is disabled and the RPM remains the same it is likely that the disabled cylinder is problematic and not producing power under normal operating conditions. Please refer to the engine manufacturer’s service literature for more information on this test. • IMPORTANT: This test should be performed with the engine running at approximately 1500 rpm, at normal operating temperature and under moderate load. • Do not attempt to drive the boat while performing this test. • Follow all engine and boat manufacturer’s safety precautions and stay clear of all moving engine components. • Refer to the engine manufacturer’s service manual for special notes on performing this test.

Turns out the final outcome of tgell001 issue was an incorrectly bought crank sensor.... http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/...-expert-i-have-known-issue-5.html#post4346590

Last edited:

Fun Times

Staff member
You have a private message this is known issue on 8.1's...that is there know to have issue's.
thanks! done
Now for the what the H??? moment. Really guys it has to be announced like that over there...:moony:

I get what you were trying to do Tail_Gunner to help tgell001 better....I've even done it myself but it shouldn't have to be so obvious.:gossip:

iboats does not have MEFI expert and I have a known issue.
New to the forum and posting for the first time. I have a 1996 Cobalt 253 with a 2004 VP Gxi and SX Duo Outdrive. This is my second season as owner, but owned countless others and I'm an above average driveway mechanic and am a mechanical engineer by degree and profession. I was referred over from iboats and told to title this post exactly like this. This person did not specify which issue I'm having is the known issue but heres what I'm dealing with....
Yes it would be nice to get Bup to help out here as he is well versed in the latest marine technology ....I've even tried to get him to join here but unfortunately he won't due to personal reasons that I could understand. Here he is as he writes for a Marine tech Magazine http://www.emconsultinginc.com/Digit...ter_2014/#19/z

While unfortunately we can't help very question that pops up daily to the fullest, this forum does pretty good at helping a good number of them with the team that still hangs out here (you included Tail_Gunner) after the upgraded software.... Granted one person in particular is extremely well missed down here in the I/O sub-forums. :rip: Don.S

Each forum on the internet seems to a get few members in each sub-forum that really knows the inner workings of their preferred engine or area they know a lot about and tend to hang out there the most. For example, if you have a hard to answer smart craft question then EuropeanAM over on http://www.bbcboards.net/mercury-motors/ is really sharp with smart craft as he works with it everyday.

tgell001 I forgot to mention in the above post that since you had paint in the fuel cell, chances are you have paint in the fuel rail system clogging your injectors. You may want to either try figuring out a way to do an injector balance test possibly using the scan tool or pull them out and send them out to be flow tested, cleaned and they'll let you know if any should be replaced.

Good luck.:)

Last edited:

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
Well i can be and will be accountable for my own action's and will be the first to admit the post was a bit shall we say extraordinary to say the least. No ill will was meant toward's i-boat's from my postion nor the member's who carry such a vast working knowledge of boats... from as simple as tying a knot to wiring a dash board calculating compression raito's tearing a hull down and virtually rebuilding the entire boat... I know of no other boating site that has such a vast working knowledge of boating from A/Z and share's it with the community so freely and with the best of intention's alway's in mind....none.

Once bitten twice shy comes to mind... but i can tell you i-boat's is by far bigger than one person's not thought out recommendation or another's obtuse post it is suspect in many way's.

My Apology's iboat's

TG

Last edited: