1963 Eska Skipper 3hp Restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyerboy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I came across this outboard (for 30.00) and could not resist bringing it back to life. I went through the ignition and got spark, then cleaned the aviation carb (no bowl version) and re-cleaned. And low and behold, she ran. You gotta love 50 year old outboards!!!

Question: it looks like the choke is actually closed only when the throttle arm is in the wide open position (?). anyone that have ever seen the Skipper please tell me if this is how it works.

Thanks, and hope to see ya out there someday!!!

Capt. Dave

meyerboy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Eska 3hp Air Vane Throttle Governor

Eska 3hp Air Vane Throttle Governor

Same Skipper as below, BUT a new question. Has anyone ever heard of an air vane governing device that uses the fan on the fly wheel to limit the throttle butterfly movement ???

I will try to post a pic later today, and show you exactly what I mean.

The Capt.

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Eska 3hp Air Vane Throttle Governor

like on a lawnmower?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

First engine I ever worked on, back in 1954 had one on an old-for-then Briggs & Stratton. And it has been used extensively ever since. The main purpose is to attempt to maintain a constant RPM under varying load conditions.

meyerboy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have played with this one a bit, and I had to replace the 50 year old spring that allows the throttle arm to swing back and forth. I used the spring out od ballpoint pen, and it is still too stiff to work well, I will have to dig and see if I can find a lighter spring. This Skipper also has a very unique cooling system that consists to a water tube that comes out of the lower end, and is aimed directly at the propwash to push water into the lower leg. What were they drinking in 1963??

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Be glad you have that old ram tube cooling system. They worked. The "real" bump that replaced them was/is chintzy.

But beware that the ram tube doesn't work well in a bucket. So, don't get alarmed, it will work on a boat where it belongs.

matt167

Captain

Eska's use Techumsea 2 stroke powerheads. the wind vane governer is standard equipment when the engine is on a lawnmower. I've seen them on the Eska outboards as well

meyerboy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Be glad you have that old ram tube cooling system. They worked. The "real" bump that replaced them was/is chintzy.

But beware that the ram tube doesn't work well in a bucket. So, don't get alarmed, it will work on a boat where it belongs.

That's why I took the leg apart, it was not working well in the tank. Thanks

4950cycle

Cadet
I know this is an old thread, But does this Eska Skipper even have an impeller ? Or is the water just rammed up the tube while the boat goes through the water ?
'

Status
Not open for further replies.