3 hp Gamefisher/Tanaka carb part needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

kfa4303

Banned
Hi all. Just wondering if anyone in the forums has, or knows where to find, a float needle seat for a 3 hp air-cooled Gamefisher/Tanaka motor (part #602-20420-200 Seat, Needle). It's essentially just a small brass nipple that threads into the carb body on one end to allow the float needle to seat, while the fuel line from the gas tank connects to the other, barbed end. It's a small little $2 part, but without it, my trusty little motor is a no go. I went to a local small engine shop and they had a very similar carb that would probably bolt right in place, but they wanted $40 for it :/ I'm not sure the motor itself is wort that much, so I thought I'd ask around and see if anyone here had one, or knew where else I might look. Thanks.

robert graham

Admiral
Re: 3 hp Gamefisher/Tanaka carb part needed

Just curious, what happened to the one you had?...Maybe a certain brass screw could be drilled/modified to work?

kfa4303

Banned

I was cleaning it one day and I lost the little, brass needle seat. It fell in the cracks of my decking and was swallowed by the boat. I'd have to rip out the entire sole to try and find it :/ While I do know the part number, I don't know its exact dimensions, so I'm not sure how to track down a comparable part. I'm hoping it's a common size found on other small engines, but who knows. I like the idea of a brass screw, but I'm not sure how I could drill through it (hollow it out). I looked on ebay for a used carb, but no luck so far. I'll contact SEARS an see if they can help me out. They'll probably want $20 (if they have it), but I guess that's better than $40. Thanks or the help.

robert graham

Admiral

Well, I run a Tanaka 3HP, but don't think I have a spare needle seat...but I'll check my old tool kit for you!...you may be able to find a used carb on E-Bay or similar...

robert graham

Admiral

Next time you have your boat out of the water, tilt it up in the front and run a strong water hose in front to wash that little bugger down and out the transom drain...and right into that 5 gallon plastic bucket waiting back there for it!:)....might work!

kfa4303

Banned

Great Idea! Maybe if I tilt the boat and hose the heck out of it I can flush it from the belly of the beast. I already checked ebay without much luck. Although, I think I found it right here...

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/seatneedle-p-519168.html

and/or here:

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/par...FISHER-OUTBOARD-MOTOR-3.0-H.P.&blt=11&shdMod=

This one looks a little cheaper and maybe I can have the store order to save on shipping....

Thanks again for the help. Once I get it up and running again, I'm gonna sell it on and try to get a better/bigger kicker. The ol' 3 hp doesn't quite push the boat well enough, especially if the wind/tide/current are against me. Not to mention the fact, that you can hear it coming a mile away. I can't decide if I should get a battery operated trolling motor, or an old 5-7hp OMC. A second gas motor would probably be best/strongest, but i don't have a lot of room on my transom. Plus, I'd eventually like to add a poling platform over the outboard which will reduce the available space even more, so I 'd have to get a kicker bracket blah, blah, blah. (Does it ever end?) Oh well, one thing at a time.

robert graham

Admiral

We're in North Florida on a regular basis and I might buy that motor from you....let me know:)

M

mrcrabs

I gave mine away after the darn thing melted the ice in the marqureta mix....hard to find a good drink mixer for camping trips:)

kfa4303

Banned

Hi Robert. I'm in Tallahassee. I'll keep y'all posted on my progress. It should be good to go again once I get it put back together. It's a great little motor that pushed my old, flat-backed aluminum canoe along perfectly, but it struggles with a fully loaded 14' tinny. I'm gonna swing by SEARS today and see if they can help me out. Hopefully, they'll take care of the shipping. It's not very expensive, but I hate paying as much, or more to ship an item than it's worth. Thanks again.

robert graham

Admiral

I'll be in Tallahassee Nov.8th....PM me your phone# and price of motor.:)

genelotta

Recruit

Hi Robert. I'm in Tallahassee. I'll keep y'all posted on my progress. It should be good to go again once I get it put back together. It's a great little motor that pushed my old, flat-backed aluminum canoe along perfectly, but it struggles with a fully loaded 14' tinny. I'm gonna swing by SEARS today and see if they can help me out. Hopefully, they'll take care of the shipping. It's not very expensive, but I hate paying as much, or more to ship an item than it's worth. Thanks again.

Hello,
Did you ever sell your little outboard? I am interested in getting a Tanaka.
Thanks, Gene

kfa4303

Banned

Hi Gene. Funny you should ask, I've just done a bit of surgery on it today. For some reason the prop was staying engaged, even at low idle, rather than engaging once the throttle was applied. I figured out that it is having trouble with the clutch. Nothing is broken, or missing, but it was filthy. I now have everything taken apart and I've given it a good cleaning and inspection. sI think/hope fixing the clutch will also help the idle issue as well by giving the motor the proper resistance, or lack there of, at low rpm. I'm also going to replace the fuel line for good measure as well. I hope to have everything back in one piece tomorrow. Thankfully, it still screams at WOT, so the motor itself is fine, just needs some tweaking. The motor itself is very strong for it's size and will push a flat back canoe along nicely, or make a great kicker motor for boats up to about 14'. I'll keep you posted. Once it's running properly again, I'll sell it. I just want to make sure it's tip top before I ask any money for it. Thanks.

M

mrcrabs

You have to watch those tanaka's, two thing I learned about the one I had...drill holes in the transom clamps and screw them down, and never ever depend on it as a kicker on a runabout in even a mild current, they just can't cut it....I think they come off power way to fast in a bad situation......say making port in the wind or dodging a Towboat or ship :rolleyes: you lose...
But hey work nice in a swimming pool or pond or slow creek....oh yeah and they will give yeah a nasty burn if your not careful....little buggers get hot....some say not to run them long at WOT but Robert says there fine on his canoe at WOT for long periods, but thats not as much weight as I was pushing. I strongly advise against them as a kicker on anything past 12ft other than a canoe or two man bass buggy for which they were intended.

What I'm saying is they can kill you if you in the right situation, and they can be a real handy machine in others....you just need to know what they were designed to do, A kicker there not.....
I think you could make a fine weed eater out of the TOB 300, hey what ever happen to Paul Pro and the twins....he was fun:laugh:

Happy New year Iboaters

Ed ke6bnl

Recruit

Hi Gene. Funny you should ask, I've just done a bit of surgery on it today. For some reason the prop was staying engaged, even at low idle, rather than engaging once the throttle was applied. I figured out that it is having trouble with the clutch. Nothing is broken, or missing, but it was filthy. I now have everything taken apart and I've given it a good cleaning and inspection. sI think/hope fixing the clutch will also help the idle issue as well by giving the motor the proper resistance, or lack there of, at low rpm. I'm also going to replace the fuel line for good measure as well. I hope to have everything back in one piece tomorrow. Thankfully, it still screams at WOT, so the motor itself is fine, just needs some tweaking. The motor itself is very strong for it's size and will push a flat back canoe along nicely, or make a great kicker motor for boats up to about 14'. I'll keep you posted. Once it's running properly again, I'll sell it. I just want to make sure it's tip top before I ask any money for it. Thanks.
what is envolved in getting to the clutch.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
:doh:

Read the Help Tip on top of the page.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.