M

mrcrabs

Re: 1976 Ted Williams 15HP

I replied to the PM with the detail,

tullydf

Seaman

Mr. Crabs,

I got the o-rings today. I went to put them into the well and they seemed a little too snug. I hope I didn't screw it up, but I ordered from I-boats and instead of 18-7137 I got 18-7137-9. The inner diameter is fine but outer seems a little too snug as o-ring distorts when inserted into well.

I could not find 3M adhesive gasket compound so I got permatex Ultra Black RTV Silicone Gasket Maker. Do you think that will suffice?

Dave

M

mrcrabs

Well huh....not sure on that O ring number thing but I think the 9 is what I call a non player number....you say it deforms...seems I remember one that puckered a bit too or they may all have puckerd???, can't remember..... if it weren't soooo cold and windy out I would go grab one and measure it so you could compare but I do believe you will be alright, I think once you get the shift rod into it all will be OK, the Rod should push the rubber into place, make sure you use gear lube on assembly....after all it is rubber....this could be a casting issue too, sometimes year to year retooling or machining changes things a wee bit... the Ultra Black RTV Silicone Gasket Maker will work just fine I would guess, I would use it. Clean and grease free is the ticket to stick it :)

JUst a thought....If I ran into a misfit problem I would breakout a small cheap set of brake cylinder hones and give it a spin or two three...but thats me
Let me know

tullydf

Seaman

Well...it's done. I hope I did you proud. Here's he pic...

shift rod fix.JPG

M

mrcrabs

Well by cracky you sure did...and a pretty job of it too, I will say this for you, you have sure put a lot of work into this motor and for a very good reason...heck yes I'm proud of you but not as proud as he I'm sure...:)

tullydf

Seaman

Thanks!

Next project...removal of power head to remove old broken water tube and install new one.

You'll be hearing from me!

Dave

tullydf

Seaman

Mr. Crabs,

I used 11/16 socket to remove nut. Looks like tube runs through nut. Flare is likely bottom of nut. It is corroded in place so I have sitting in penetrating oil and will give it time and then attempt removal. Will likely need new o-ring?

Dave

tullydf

Seaman

Got old piece of water tube out of nut. It looks like tube goes through nut and protrudes about 1/4 beyond nut to go into bottom of powerhead. There is no flare at the top of the tube. Looks like the nut tightens down on washer and o-ring to form a type of compression fitting.

M

mrcrabs

You know lucky me I have had the good replacment tubes on hand but I thought if I ran into this problem I would use a copper tube and flare the end use the rubber washer behind like original and hose clamp the tube from the back side then install it down to the water pump....just a thought :sleeping:

100_1266 (2).jpg hi guys, its been awhile and i hope i don't mislead you anymore. this is how i held the oring in. i used a 1/4" x 1/8" nylon isolater held in with a modified ss flat washer. this is held down with two # 6 machine screws.

M

mrcrabs

Hey Todd,
On the 15hp models I have worked on the area you use for srews has been machined away to a small ring around the shify well along with a deeper exhaust exit, 9.9's & 7.5 deluxes have more metal as in your pic, just compare tuffydf's pic with yours.
I considered using screws forward and to the sides but in truth its over kill, the more sophisticated way would be a OMC type brass wedge above the Oring,...but who wants to be sophisticated to that degree. the plastic tube seems to me to be a water trap and deal breaker for water drainage. But it is pretty :)

PS Todd, you thread jacker you...lol..;)

tullydf

Seaman

Todd,

Nice job...I like the paint job too. I will be repainting the entire exterior. I hope it comes out nice. What paint did you use?

its been ten years since i painted this one. hammer spray that lost its hammer when i clear coated it. i have since put the power head one another body. i use a self etching primer on out side and electric winding spray on inside parts( exelent for salt water.)

John8504

Cadet
I see all the info on this motor and I'm glad for it! I have a 1974 ted Williams with lower unit leaks. I called the parts house specified and they are out of part 26288. I cannot find this anywhere. Does anyone have extras or know of somewhere else to get them?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I see all the info on this motor and I'm glad for it! I have a 1974 ted Williams with lower unit leaks. I called the parts house specified and they are out of part 26288. I cannot find this anywhere. Does anyone have extras or know of somewhere else to get them?

Please start a new thread of your own. This one is long dead. Thanks.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.