Scott Atwater lower unit leak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dexta

Seaman
My 7.5 hp Scott is leaking fluid from around the prop shaft. Is there any fix to this? Not sure if there is some sealer, additive or bushing treatment is acceptable.

Thanks

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Scott Atwater lower unit leak

Sure there should be a seal in there. Post a model number and I'll look it up.

narwhals

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Dexta, you will need to replace the seal in the lower unit. adding a sealer,additive or bushing treatment is like putting lipstick on a pig, it might look pretty but you'll still have the same problem of fluid leaking out the lower end. Good luck on your rebuild it should only take an hour or two if your good with a wrench.

ckendziora

Cadet

The seal is part of a bronze cover take the prop off and underneath you will see the cover with the seal.
1. drain the lower unit
2. remove the prop
3. remove the plate
4. these guys should have the seal kit you need. http://laingsoutboards.com/
5.install new seals
6. reassemble
7. intall new gear lube
8. Miller time
9. about 1.0 hours
:)

Dexta

Seaman

You guys are the best, I didn't think I'd see much response. There's some hope yet for the old girl.

1950 Scott Atwater 7.5 HP

Model # 503
Serial # 503-566367.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

It is not supposed to have fluid oil in that one, it uses "Outboard Motor Gear Grease". Since that stuff is no longer made, most people use Lubriplate 105 Motor Assembly Grease, available from NAPA Auto Parts Stores.

#462-3109 is the prop shaft seal. You probably won't find an oem one, so measure it and get one by size from a bearing supply house (or maybe NAPA while you are there).

Attachments

• Lower Unit.jpg
    Lower Unit.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 5

Dexta

Seaman

FR,

Thank you so much for the parts breakdown. Pictures worth more than a thousand words.

narwhals

Petty Officer 2nd Class

motion industries if you have one near you will also have what you need for the seal. i've had good luck with them, remove part bring it in to them,they will measure and have it for you in a couple days, usually a lot cheaper than most places. good luck on your rebuild.

Dexta

Seaman

Thanks Narwhals, you all have been very helpfull. Can't imagine doing this without the internet.

Dexta

Seaman

Well crew, I just took the prop off and see the bronze cover, (cover seal). Am I right to say the proper way to remove it is to poke an awl into the brass and lift it out?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Probably not, but since it is leaking anyway, you don't have much to lose by trying. The correct way is to remove the cap off the front of the gearcase and pull out the forward gear, prop shaft, etc. Then you can remove the seal. It isn't a "brass cover", the brass is part of the seal. It isn't as hard as it would appear.

Dexta

Seaman

Thanks F_R, Will follow your procedure as I'm afraid I might spoil the dimensions when I yank it out and not be able to get a good measurement for replacement.

Hub1982

Recruit
I have I been read manuwal it say to put grease and 90 w oil do you put both in lower unit?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I have I been read manuwal it say to put grease and 90 w oil do you put both in lower unit?

This thread is over 7 years old, don't expect any answers. Start a new thread of your own for advoce.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.