Help with Ted Williams Serial Number

Status
Not open for further replies.

Windchime

Cadet
I recently bought a Sears Ted Williams 7.5 HP (I was told) outboard. In order to begin repairing it, I would appreciate any help identifying the exact make, model and year. I found the following numbers on the head:

65600730 I (the last two numbers of the ser. No. and the I are a little questionable as they are hard to read), and what looks kind of like an I is very hard to make out. Could be an L, or T, or something else, just not sure.

Also, below the number above it has a number, 1420, stamped in the metal of the head.

Head casting says "McCulloch Corporation" and below that "Scott Division"

Two cylinders.

I have been to the Sears parts site, but was unable to find anything that helped. I don't really know that site, so I may have entered useless data.

I did find a photo on the web that looks exactly like the motor I have, except that it is a 9 HP motor. It indicated it was a 1969 year model Ted Williams. Sorry, I would include the URL, but I didn't save it.

Any information getting more specific about the motor would be a great help. Thanks.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Help with Ted Williams Serial Number

There should be a model number beginning with 574.

Windchime

Cadet

Many thanks steelespike. Your suggestion caused me to go out and look more carefully at the engine, whereupon I found a tag I had not seen before. It read:
Serial Number: 65600710-1420
Model 574601120
Sears Roebuck and Co.
Simpsons Sears LTD, Canada

You called this one right on the money. I can now be more specific about looking for repair parts, etc. If there is anything more you can tell me about this engine, I would love to hear it. For example, does the "Simpsons Sears LTD, Canada" imply a version that might require non-standard parts?

Thanks again for your help.

Windchime

Cadet

Thanks to you also mrcrabs. I downloaded the manual and it certainly looks like the right one. With the help of this forum I should be able to have this engine back on the water in no time.

Thanks again.

P. Neal

Recruit
None of this tells me what year mine is, I have entered ser. # and model# and you show me the exact same thing

Status
Not open for further replies.