eska(sportfisher)1971 model #1733c 5hp

losnbama

Petty Officer 2nd Class
ive learned a lot of info from you guys about every eska model except this one lol but it sounds like the sears brand may be the closest thing to what i have as far as troubleshooting..anyh comments?

narwhals

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: eska(sportfisher)1971 model #1733c 5hp

it is an eska with a tecumseh power head AV-600, and a tecumseh carb which you should be able to get parts at any old tecumseh dealer "small engine mechanic". most of the parts come in a standard rebuild kit for a typical snowblower, "bowl gasket,welch plugs,needle,seat,bowl nut gasket. what are you trying to trouble shoot. do you have a spark and compression tester? most of the eskas are very similar and can be easily troubleshooted by poting any symptoms that you are having with your unit. good luck on your project.

losnbama

Petty Officer 2nd Class

well rt now no troubles except for the flapper valve gasket and the impeller. the cost is not bad but the shipping is OUTRAGEOUS! and dont have the testers you mentioned. but the motor started right up with a shot a gas to the carb. should be an easy project. and i hope so cause its my FIRST project and outboard lol

losnbama

Petty Officer 2nd Class

update. ignition is hot. very strong spark.the flywheel is frozen to the shaft atm so ima leave the points as is for now.it starts first pull (if i open the choke as soon as it kicks)(???) jus waitin for a impeller so i can set the carb under a load. any ideas on the choke deal?

losnbama

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the carb appears to have been rebuilt. the needle above float has a rubber tip instead of the steel and a seat. is this a normal replacement part? the spring with the needle is a comp. spring that slides over the end of the needle. is this also normal?

narwhals

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i don't think that is a normal replacement part "rubber tipped needle" as most tecumseh carbs have a needle and seat, if the carb works properly you can leave it alone. if the unit was mine i would return it back to normal parts but that is because i have access to parts very easily.i've got a few extra valve flappers if you can't locate one. the idle adjustment screw does have a spring on it, that is normal the adjustment setting for the idle screw is one turn out from the seated position, this refers to screwing in the needle until snug then backing out one turn, do not overtighten or you'll risk damaging the needle or carb. most carbs have an auto jet in the bottom of the carb which is the also the bowl nut, some of the older models do have an adjustment for the high speed and that should be set at one turn out to start as well, then adjust after it is warmed up and under load for optimum results. my eska starts up with the choke on then runs like a champ after warm up.good luck and keep on posting if you run into any problems.

losnbama

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ahh the flapper valve. yes an extra would be nice indeed.ty the one now LOOKS ok. no tears or holes. can the flapper lose elacticity causeing poor suction of fuel? the motor runs fine with an elevated tank but poorly otherwise. the duckbill seems ok(useing the blow into it method) no holes etc. the rim is a little dryrotted but seats good against the gasket.

narwhals

Petty Officer 2nd Class

pump element part #630953 can be cross referenced over to an oregon part # and cost you maybe 10$ at any small engine repair shop. that was the culprit on my eska that gave me fits for months until some very wise people helped me troubleshoot my problem on this site. one of these days i'll get the cross reference # to all the parts, for my knowledge and to help others. i was able to get the valve flapper off of sears website 631554 but it wasn't the problem.i'd get the pump element first and if that doesn't work send me a private message and i'll send you a valve flapper unless you want one anyways then pm me and it will be in the mail. good luck

narwhals

Petty Officer 2nd Class

when replacing the pump element it goes in at a 45 degree angle / if your looking directly at the opening of the carb. you can probably find a picture of this on a previous post.

M

mrcrabs

according to Eskaman we should refer to it as the 2 & 8 O'clock position

losnbama

Petty Officer 2nd Class

everything looks right per the manual floating about here cept for the rubber tipped needle..i found a simple carb kit locally but no fuel element.and acted like it was a bother for him to try to find one if he did have it...some ppl have no class...

M

mrcrabs

i found a simple carb kit locally but no fuel element.and acted like it was a bother for him to try to find one if he did have it

regardless of the many postings of lawnmower shops having the fuel pump element and rebuild kits for Eska made outboards its really depends on the demographics of where you live, most lawnmower shops have never heard of a tecumseh fuel pump element...and one other thing, ask your self if you feel comfortable with old stock rubber parts??? call www.certifiedpartscorp.com about $7 plus postage....brand new

losnbama

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yeah ive already got a list made out for cpc mrcrabs...proly go ahead and get the full kit from them and some xtra flappers from narwhals...oh and the impeller i need they gots aswell...

losnbama

Petty Officer 2nd Class

moved the question to another thread...

narwhals

Petty Officer 2nd Class

here are some part # for you 630953 pump element 631555 valve flapper 631554gasket for valve flapper631021C eska carb kit complete. the following i'm giving you tecumseh part # first then a cross reference to aftermarket oregon part# tecumseh carb rebuild 631978 oregon 49-978 tecumseh float bowl 631700 oregon 49-307 tecumseh float 632019 oregon 49-009 inlet needle seat with gaskets 631021B oregon 49-916 "this kit has the pump element in it with other parts to a different carb oregon49-239" this one works for me because i get the pump element for my outboard and all the other parts are what i need for my snowblower and it cost me less than ordering up a pump element. keep those numbers handy as they may help you when ordering future parts. sorry to here your local mechanic wasn't that helpful to you, i guess i'm fortunate to have a friend that runs a small engine shop although in 20 years of working on small engines we've never seen a pump element until my eska that i got a few years ago. now we are both familar with a pump element, i guess you never stop learning until your dead and gone.good luck.

losnbama

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ima b honest with u guys...the part #'s yall r throwin at me r totally off from wat im seein in the books and on other sites :( i idk if wat i have is a combo of carb and powerhead or wat..the only #'s i can find on my carb are...390 1D8 or 390 108 i cant find ne thing on the web that i can make sense of..and NO #'s at all on the powerhead...i do know that after 7 days of reading the iboats forums from all in this thread and others throughout iboats,6" of torrential rain(the past 2 days) the model 1733c fired right up with 5 pulls...just as i left her 3 days ago...she popped right up to puttputtputtputt...ill track those #'s now narwhals as the power is on now...

narwhals

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the numbers i posted are for common parts on the tecumseh carbs even though you have a sportfisher these # should cross reference over to current part # even though different than what might be on a parts look up for that model that you have. almost every model has part # that are different from year to year but they use the same parts on the machine if you follow. i don't know why, but i've searched the micro-fiche on these models and found numerous different part # but they all correlate back to these current part #. keep the numbers as i don't think you have a frankenstein motor cob job put together, the fact you have the valve flapper and pump element on your unit is unique to the eska brand and the fact that it starts and runs should be relief all on its own.good luck on getting it in the water.i just got done replacing the radiator in my wifes van for the third time in two years. first one had a leak in the seam so i got to do it twice in a week, this one started leaking from the drain port, i'm glad i got the lifetime warranty.

losnbama

Petty Officer 2nd Class

its only a matter of time b4 the old parts are just not around anymore...so wats the best retro-fit carb for the 1733c??? i cant find a carb the crosses with a ca631600 carb...anyone know of one or how to fit it???

M

mrcrabs

My worst fear in life is a lawn mower shops micro fich, there good for float needle kits and bowel and gasket only....:facepalm: so your tecumseh powerhead is 643-05b model, I think if I where looking for a new carb my main priority's would be 1st if the throttle plate shaft would interchange because you will need that sync shaft to link the timing and carb, 2nd measure the carb bore. Every thing else is simple regarding fuel delivery...gravity flow or drill and tap for a pulse type pump...I intend to convert one myself if I live long enough and keep my interest in these little jewels :)

ebay is full of old snow blower carbs