eska(sportfisher)1971 model #1733c 5hp

losnbama

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: eska(sportfisher)1971 model #1733c 5hp

ill take it apart and do it again. didnt use a drop of oil on the seat as per the tec carb manual. also ima make a new carb to motor gasket. how thick should that gasket be btw?

M

mrcrabs

That gaskets is thin, not sure of the actual thickness but I always use the real tecumseh part when it comes to the gaskets, I never was good at making one.
Some of the knock off gaskets are three times as thick as stock and that will effect the throttle buttterfly rods interaction with the timing advance cam (moves the carb out and away from the cam). I'm not saying a thick gaskest can't be used but to get the engine tuned to run its best you will need to pull the flywheel and go thru the sync procces per the manual or slightly bend the plate that the brass butterfly rod sets on up a little will work to, also on the thick carb gaskets you get some erosion around the fuel pump pulse hole , thats my experiance with them.

losnbama

Petty Officer 2nd Class

makein gaskets i can do well. and i have some material that is less than 1/16". the one now seems really thick compared to wat i use. but the motor ran good with the foot off and old carb kit. also the arm u mentioned is loose in the plate. easy way to tighten that up??? just got a new plug clr fuel line and a diff fuel tank. the original is rusted out and the motor runs better via gravity feeding vs putting the tank on the ground atm

losnbama

Petty Officer 2nd Class

also whats the best way to cap the external tank hookup? since im useing gravity fed.

M

mrcrabs

well putting the tank on the ground will make the little fuel pump work hard and the engine run lean...it need to be up about where it would set in the boat...I use a chair when I barrel test. as fas capping off the line I guess the old bolt in the fuel line would be the simplest way or a vacum line cap, I think the auto parts store would have that,

The brass butterfly rod is swedged on so you would have to take the butterfly off and pull the shaft and re swedge it...be careful with that.

losnbama

Petty Officer 2nd Class

vacum line cap is now on my parts list. it ran its best when the tank was on the garbage can with a straight feed into the carb via primer bulb. i wonder if the duel fuel source only works if you ACTUALLY have duel sources??carb is apart again. many pics to upload

losnbama

Petty Officer 2nd Class

what are your concerns??? i know the float tab is not supposed to look like that but thats the setting...the old carb to motor gask. is bad,the new needle is shorter than the old and the new carb to motor gask tells there was air getting in under it from pitting(the darker areas of the new gasket im making),the lighter areas is where the lite coat of lithium grease touched the flat spots of the carb).

narwhals

Petty Officer 2nd Class

looking at the pictures that float needs a good scrubbing with some fine steel wool, that baby should shine, also don't worry about the different lengths of the needles as after the new seat is installed you can set the float by adjusting the tang,if you don't have the tecumseh set tool you can use a # 4 drill bit .209 in or 5.3 mm to set it correctly.pump element looks correctly installed and basic settings for the needles on the carb are one turn out from seated position, then adjust high speed first after warm up and adjust idle speed needle so rich enough to provide smooth acceleration from idle to high speed. you should have gotten the flapper valve in the mail.keep posting and we'll keep trying to help you get back on the water.

losnbama

Petty Officer 2nd Class

got it and installed it as well. thanks. ima give it another go after work today.

M

mrcrabs

You have the old style viton tiped needle....your going to have problems there installing the seat. We have covered this problem before here at Iboats with not much sucsess unless you find that a new old style needle or can replace the viton tip with tip from another aplication.

losnbama

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i remember reading something of the sort.thats why the needle and brass sleeve was the concern...here is the example of.viton tipped needle set at recommended specs vs new replacement needle and seat(with no adjustment to float tang...

IMG_0566[1].jpg IMG_0567[1].jpg

M

mrcrabs

I think you pics are to big, the attachments come up as invalid

losnbama

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You have the old style viton tiped needle....your going to have problems there installing the seat. We have covered this problem before here at Iboats with not much sucsess unless you find that a new old style needle or can replace the viton tip with tip from another aplication.

2 ways...cut new grooves lower to allow for the seat...or...grind the tip down and polish to mirror finish for a good seal..."if ya cant find the part,ya gotta improvise son"....Dale Earnhardt

M

mrcrabs

yeah thats better, first pic the with old needle float is set right, the second is way to high

losnbama

Petty Officer 2nd Class

finally finished the new carb to reed valve gasket
IMG_0568[1].jpg
the edges r ruff but easily cleaned with a chainsaw file(but thats another forum) ima put this thing back together best i (beer)can and get back to yas fer shur. OH i made the feul element hole just a touch bigger as the old gasket was swollen as to appear to be starving for gas..coulda been the prob all along lol??? bbl

losnbama

Petty Officer 2nd Class

put the old needle back in with rec settings...fired right up to idle...ima get a bigger barrel cause the 5gal. im using now just dont hold enuff water...the motor shoots it right out and the hose wont fill it fast enuff haha

narwhals

Petty Officer 2nd Class

sounds like your heading in the right direction. congratulations on your perserverance and hard work.